84° Kilgore, TX
The Student News Site of Kilgore High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

The Mirror

The Muppets’ Christmas Carol Review

Athenaem Foundation
The cast of the Muppets’ Christmas Carol

‘Tis the season for holiday decorations and Christmas vacations. The commercial success of Christmas has made it a global phenomena. One of the most timeless Christmas tales is arguably the Christmas Carol. A story about an old miser who is forced to rethink his life after experiencing an interaction with the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Christmas Yet to Come

Compared to other iterations of the story, this movie is more lighthearted, while staying true to the original story. The narration, provided by the Great Gonzo also helps make it a more faithful adaptation of the novel. Just as the novel delves into the mind of Scrooge, Gonzo’s narration provides insight into how Scrooge thinks.

The story is very quick-paced, but still allows those moments of emotion to shine. The acting is very well done, but there are a few moments where it seems like the actors are just walking through the scenes. The worst example of this is during Scrooge’s argument with his nephew and two charity collectors where his counterpoints are said almost immediately. This makes it look like he’s just a business man who’s had a bad day, instead of the old miser who despises everything with little hope of redemption. As the movie progresses, however, the acting and story becomes more amusing.

The practical effects in this movie are astonishing. In this day and age, where CGI is in everything, and makes up everything, it makes you appreciate the practical effects. It’s also very entertaining to watch the puppets (or muppets). The acting helps give the impression that they’re actually alive and not just a stuffed animal controlled by a hand.

The moments where Gonzo and Rizzo the Rat are the center of attention are a blast. They know not to take themselves too seriously, but also not to act child-ish. These scenes also improve the chemistry between the characters and offer quick-witted banter.

Due to such a large cast of iconic characters, both from the Christmas Carol and Muppets, there are some interesting twists and turns. One example being Marley, Scrooge’s business partner, being two separate individuals instead (the Muppets’ business partners Statler and Waldorf). The Muppets also take the place of classic characters too (Kermit and Miss Piggy as Bob and Mrs. Crachit, Fozzie Bear as Fozziwigg, and Sam the Eagle who plays the headmaster who changed Scgrooge’s life), providing a refreshing take on the tale. 

Of course, we can’t forget to discuss the three key supporting characters: the Ghost of Christmas Past, Present, and Future. The Ghost of Christmas past is an angelic, child-like being who stays relatively accurate to its novel counterpart. The Ghost of Christmas Present is virtually the novel come to life (minus the fact it’s a puppet). He’s still the extremely joyous spirit, with an added characteristic: he has short-term memory lost. The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come also closely resembles it’s novel counterpart, and this time, the dark, shrouded person under the robe is none other than the Great Gonzo.

Overall, this rendition is a fun, and creative journey that holds true (if not more faithful than other adaptations) to the meaning of the classic Christmas tale.