80° Kilgore, TX
The Student News Site of Kilgore High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

The Mirror

Viewers Enamored by Thrills of Godzilla

Abel Espinoza
Fighting the Monster • Junior Abel Espinoza takes a picture of the characters getting ready to attack Godzilla.

Godzilla is a franchise that has captivated viewers worldwide since its debut in 1954. The franchise is turning 70 this April, and even though it came out overseas, it’s definitely become a staple in both media and entertainment. The idea of Godzilla is a story of its time. The concept is a metaphor for the Japanese fear of nuclear weapons. Japan was basically showing how they felt about nuclear attacks at the time like the attacks on Nagasaki, Hiroshima, and the lesser known Daigo Fukuryū Maru, Dragon 5 incident, which was the U.S. nuclear testing in the ocean. Godzilla has had a total of thirty eight films with Japan producing thirty three of them and America producing only five. The latest film in the franchise, “Godzilla Minus One”, released on Oct. 18, 2023 in Japan, and was a box office hit.
In just its first three days, the movie was grossing $1.04 billion or $7.8 million. However in America, it took it quite a while for it to release in theaters. Over here, it released on Dec. 1, 2023. In just 16 days, the movie would become the sixth highest grossing Japanese film of all time in the United States, then later claimed the title of the most successful live action Japanese film ever in America.

A black-and-white version, “Godzilla Minus One Minus Color”, came out on Jan. 12, 2024 in Japan, and was distributed in the United States by Toho International on Jan. 26. Fans were eating it up. Many people even said how much they liked it better.

“I absolutely loved the movie, the theme, the atmosphere, the characters, and the special effects were overwhelmingly jaw dropping,” junior Nolan Binford said. “The black and white version added so much to this movie. The overall feel and atmosphere was heavily impacted by the somber and melancholy lack of color.”
Although, even though the movie is so highly rated, the black and white version still couldn’t save the ending for many viewers.
“The whole reason for the main character having the ambition to kill Godzilla was fueled by revenge for his loved one who passed due to that monster,” junior Kevin Aguilar said. “Turns out they were alive the entire time. I understand the message behind this, but I believe that if they were truly dead it would have added much more impact and significance to the viewers’ emotions. The way they died almost guaranteed certain death so it’s unexplainable why they’re alive besides for a happy ending.”
“Godzilla Minus One” has definitely captured the hearts of many and even with its flaws, has only added on to the Godzilla legacy.