It’s Okay to be Undecided

Senior+Kace+Murphy+is+trying+to+make+a+tough+decision.+

Senior Kace Murphy is trying to make a tough decision.

If you would have asked me what I wanted to be after high school just a few years ago, I would have most likely said a doctor or maybe even a teacher. Now I’m at the age where it’s actually time for me to start making these big decisions, except now I have no idea what I want to do.

Growing up I knew I wanted to have a job in the medical field because most of my family members were a part of it. I went through all of the medical classes during high school, but sadly after my junior year I realized maybe it wasn’t the right choice for me. My older sister recently just went through nursing school, and after seeing everything she had gone through, I decided that it wasn’t going to be the right fit for me. 

Now I’m in my senior year of high school without a clue of what I want to do. It can be quite stressful when it feels like everyone around you already has their lives planned out. It has taken me awhile to realize that I’m not the only one who is going through the same things, and that it’s normal to feel like this.

I was terrified that I wasn’t going to be accepted into the school that I wanted to go to because of this, but in reality, this school had a whole program for people just like me who were still trying to figure out their future. 

One thing I wish someone would have told me when I was younger, or even when I was a freshman, is that it’s okay to change your mind, and that it’s okay to not have an idea of what you want to do. The more I talk to people, the more I realize that it’s rare to graduate college with the major you originally went in with.

It has taken me a while but now I know that it doesn’t matter how long it takes me to figure out what I want to do, what matters is if I’m happy with what I end up doing.