Making the most out of the holiday season

Sophomore+Kaden+Parham+and+freshman+Jayden+Jones+laugh+in%0Athe+Christmas+spirit+while+enjoying+a+holiday+themed+treat.+

Faith Jones

Sophomore Kaden Parham and freshman Jayden Jones laugh in the Christmas spirit while enjoying a holiday themed treat.

People look forward to the holidays. Young children are eager for Santa’s arrival, teenagers get excited for a break from school, and adults appreciate quality time with family.

The problem lies in the season living up to its expectations of quality times and an overall positive holiday. Teenagers, who seem to place the highest expectations on the holidays, have endless opportunity to exceed the holiday standards and have a great time during the most wonderful time of the year. From staying in with family, going out for a wholesome time with oneself, and staying out all night embracing the season with friends, the ways to spend this celebratory time are never ceasing.

Family travel from all around the world to be together at this time. Aunts and uncles drive down from Tennessee with cousins upon cousins eager to play tag in the yard. Brothers and sisters who’ve started their lives elsewhere meet their loved ones for a long-awaited reuniting in the DFW Airport. Grandparents bring down the plethora of Christmas decorations they’ve accumulated throughout the years and place them around a home full of memories, family and laughter.

Time spent with family is time well spent. Whether helping grandpa hang the lights around the roof or baking Christmas cookies with cousins in the kitchen, the value is in the love. Seasons of life can pull people apart, but holidays never fail to bring them back together.

Teens thrive on time with friends. At times, it’s put before family time – and even homework, but nevertheless it is worthwhile. Whether it is spent driving through downtown looking at Christmas decorations while listening to Christmas music, exchanging gifts at a friend’s Christmas party, or taste testing all the new holiday drinks at Starbucks, it’s hard not to enjoy any amount of time spent with friends.

Although being surrounded by close friends and family members is appreciated, it’s nice to spend time alone. This could include writing a letter to Santa, going Christmas

shopping for loved ones, volunteering at a homeless or animal shelter, or staying in bed watching Christmas movies with fuzzy socks on.

Taking time to be alone and appreciate the company of yourself is important to one’s independence and self love.

There is an endless list of twists and turns the holiday season could take. It’s up to you to choose how you spend the most wonderful time of the year.

Whether you choose to spend the cold winter days with family by the fireplace and drinking hot chocolate or to take a drive through downtown observing the lights and derricks while listening to Christmas music with a group of close friends; it’s impossible to feel as though the season has not been fulfilling and joyous.