Students on Homebound get the help they need to succeed

+Is+homebound+effective%3F+%E2%80%A2+%E2%80%9CI+think+the+homebound+program+is+effective+because+you+get+your+work+done+in+a+little+amount+of+time+and+you+still+have+time+to+rest%2C%E2%80%9D+freshman+Kailey+Jones+said.+

Olivia Arp

Is homebound effective? • “I think the homebound program is effective because you get your work done in a little amount of time and you still have time to rest,” freshman Kailey Jones said.

Getting sick and missing school is already a predicament, and it leaves a student behind with loads of make up work. But getting sick and missing school for numerous weeks is detrimental to one’s education. Not only is the student missing school, he or she is also being deprived of a social life and physical interactions.

Students who contract an illness that prevents them from attending school for an extended period of time are enrolled in the homebound program. This allows the student to continue doing his or her classwork at his or her own pace and in the comfort of his or her own home, a hospital or a place determined by the school.

The program is, in a way, a compromise between the school and physicians. Students maintain their education while putting their health first while he or she recovers.

Some might question whether or not the homebound program is as

effective as it seems.
In some cases, students stay right

on track and can go back to school at the same level as his or her fellow students, or even be ahead of their classmates. In other cases, however, students can potentially fall
behind in their schoolwork and are expected to return to school while catching up and staying on track with the lessons.

Teachers and administrators work hand in hand to determine the best possible option for each student’s situation.

Teachers, contrary to popular belief, don’t drop a load of assignments off at a student’s house and expect it done within the week. They space the work out according to the students estimated time out and give him or her all the time needed to complete and return it.

Giving a schedule to a homebound student causes stress. Teachers understand that recovery is a time consuming process.

Students and their guardians become concerned on the topic of their child’s attendance and how it could suffer when he or she is out sick. However, counselors prioritize

the students attendance; there is no reason they would allow the student to be out of school unless absolutely necessary. Homebound

is just one of the many options for students who cannot go to school. The school has the students’ best interest at heart. If the program does

not seem to work for the student, they will and what works the best for them in particular.

Keeping in mind that this program is not for everyone and that finding motivation to do the work while at home is difficult, it is the most practical road to a successful education while maintaining a smooth recovery from illness.

Some may say that personally they could not see themselves getting much work done in this situation, every student works at a different pace and thrives in different environments. It is at the hand of the counselors to help the student decide exactly what they need.

In my experience, the homebound program was exceptional. The idea of being out of school for several weeks was mortifying, but the school worked compliantly with my family and were willing to help with anything.

The instructor who helped me during my time out was empathetic and never gave deadlines or too many assignments at once. Thanks to this program, it is as if I had never left. My grades are as good as they were before I left, and I

recovered well.
This program, although students

may disagree, is effective. Students have their classwork and all the time they need, with the advantage of no distractions.

Working under these conditions is the perfect opportunity for any student needing the extra help. It was scary knowing that I would not be receiving instruction from my teachers and that I had to rely on myself not to procrastinate.

In the end, my grades are great, and I am thankful for the program and the teachers who worked with me through it all.
Regardless of the situation, the homebound program is effective.

Students are provided their
work and are fully aware of the information they are responsible for.

Communication is key. If a student gets sick, he or she has to take charge of his or her education and talk to the school. Keep in touch with the counselors and the attendance of office and let them know what is going on with you. They are here to help.