80° Kilgore, TX
The Student News Site of Kilgore High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

The Mirror

February Student of The Month

Emmanuel Young
Christina Young
Emmanuel Young, February Student of the Month

The glow from the bright fluorescent lights shine upon the green field. The warm colors of the setting sun blend together as people fill the stands for the Battle of the Dogs. It’s yet another Friday Night Lights, and this time, the Bulldogs would go up against the Chapel Hill “Bulldogs” for the 4th Round of

the UIL District 4A-D1 Texas State Football Championship. Among
the Dogs is senior Emmanuel Young, team captain. The game went into the night, and although the Bulldogs lost, it was yet another great season of memories, and the last season for Young.

Senior Emmanuel Young has been selected as the February Student of the Month. He stands out for many reasons.

“I think that my willingness to always do what is needed helped me earn Student of the Month,” Young said.

Over the four years of his high school career, Young has been involved in a number of clubs, organizations, and sports as well as being Senior Class President, and being the self-proclaimed Event Coordinator for Anchor Club.

“My favorite school activity is football, because of the memories & the brotherhood formed,” Young

said. “My most memorable memory is playing in the 2023 playoffs, and the family bond is what makes me most proud of my time at Kilgore High School.”

As a four year Student Council member, his favorite community service activity is Bulldog Blessings, an annual event that helps the community give to those in need during the holidays.

“It feels good to help kids who need a bit of a pick-me-up,” Young said.

When he’s not doing anything for school, he spends his free time staying busy.

“My favorite out of school activity is my church youth group because it helps me strengthen my relationship with God,” Young said. “In my free time, I like to kayak and read my Bible.”

If Young could spend time with someone, he has an interesting answer, but it is not a surprise.

“I would spend time with Joshua from the Bible,” Young said. “I would ask how he was always so courageous.”

In the fall, Emmanuel has signed to play and attend Howard Payne University and major in Biology.

“I believe the college will help

shape me spiritually,” Young said. “I plan to major in biology so that I can attend dental school after. The thing I fear most about graduating is moving away from my family and friends.”

High school is a time full of connections, and Young has made plenty of those.

“My best friend is Josh Parrish,” Young said, “because he is a great influence on me and pushes me to be the best I can. The teacher that has had the biggest impact on me is Mr. Parrish because he pushes me to be my best every single day in class.”

In terms of classes, Young has made the most out of them.

“Mrs. Hunter’s class has taught me the most,” Young said. “This
is because it teaches us about the real world. The class I’ll miss the most is Pre-cal, because the class is always fun, and it is always a funny class.”

All of this was not done by himself. He, of course, has one person who has influenced him the most in his life.

“My dad influences me most because he shows me how to be a great person and be a man of God,” Young said.