75° Kilgore, TX
The Student News Site of Kilgore High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

The Mirror

February Employee of the Month

Rhonda Steele

Rhonda Steele is KHS Employee of the Month for February. Steele is a proud employee and when asked what qualities she thinks made her a candidate to be selected, she said she tries to be hardworking, dedicated & organized.

“I always try to get things done as best I can and in a timely manner,” Steele said.

“Attendance is a challenge at times. There is a lot of problem solving & detective work that goes into it. I am proud to work alongside such super great teachers and administrators,” Steele said.

Throughout her years at KHS, Steele’s biggest challenges are the technology gadgets.

“I am a bit old school at times, but like learning new things,” Steele said.

Her favorite school activities are watching her grandchildren do activities they enjoy.

“I have 4 grandchildren in KISD. I love watching them in all of the activities they are in. Kashten is a junior and on the baseball team. Isaac is a sophomore and plays saxophone in the band. Georgia (my only girl) is a 7th grader and plays the cello in the orchestra. Brick is also a 7th grader and plays basketball,” Steele said.

Steele’s job may be hard at times but she has help from the person who has impacted her the most, Melissa Brown.

“Melissa Brown is the reason I started at Kilgore High School,” Steele said. “She saw something in me that I would never have considered when the high school needed 2 new attendance clerks. I was scared to death the first year I worked here. She is always so kind & patient when I ask the same questions over and over again. She is also a great friend who always has my back.”

Steele grew up in Longview.

“I went to Longview ISD my entire life. I only went to 1⁄2 a semester at Kilgore College before marrying and having kids,” Steele said.

During her high school years, Steele was a part of many clubs and received many awards. “I was part of the “Big Green Marching Machine,” Steele said. “I played Baritone. We received a Sweepstakes rating all 3 years. I was also in the Longview High School Girls Choir and Mixed Chorale. I earned a spot in the All-Region Choir my sophomore year,” Steele said.

While balancing being a wife, daughter, mom, nana, aunt, and sister, Steele also likes to volunteer her time around the Kilgore community.

“I am the McKinney-Vento liaison for Kilgore High School. I make sure that these students have everything they need. First Baptist Church of Kilgore generously donates food & snacks that I pack up and hand out every Friday for these students to take home,” Steele said.

Steele’s biggest accomplishment in her life is how beautifully her life turned out to be.

“Having been married to my high school sweetheart for 44 years and having 3 daughters to raise was a challenge. Kristin is a hairdresser in Kilgore, teaches Beachbody, and has 4 boys. Kandi is employed and takes classes at the University of Arkansas in their Ag department. Kyrie works from home for a railroad company and has two children. They have grown into beautiful young women that I love very much. We love to dance on the back porch at the house whenever we have a swimming party in summer or a bonfire in the fall,” Steele said.

If she could sit down with one person and talk about anything, Steele would talk to her grandmother.

“She sewed a lot of my daughters’ clothes and Halloween costumes. I would definitely pay more attention to how she did. I would love to know how to work a sewing machine now,” she said.

Steele has one message she would like for everyone to know. “I would like to thank the teachers & staff that thought of me for this honor. I appreciate all of you so much. I love my job and the people who work here,” Steele said.