FCS club hosts See You At The Pole

Carly Mauldin

More stories from Carly Mauldin

Junior Kenneth Exline prays in a small group. “I think See You At The Pole is important because a lot of people believe that God is taken out of schools, and it serves as a reminder to them that he is still in our schools,” Exline said. Photo by Sofia Gomez.

The Fellowship Christian Students  (FCS) is a club that focuses on creating a Christian community on campus through meetings and events.

“FCS stands for Fellowship of Christian Students,” senior Eryka Hopper said. “It is a group of students who gather and do a variety of things such as read from the Bible, pray, and have mini-Bible studies and devotionals. FCS is not just based out of one youth group, but consists of students from various churches. Some of the members are wanting to make a few changes to help invite others to join, so I feel like this year will be different than years past.”

FCS meets weekly for bible study and discussion.

“FCS allows Christians or those that are wanting to learn about the church to be able to meet at school and talk about it with their peers,” junior Kenneth Exline said. “School is a place where if you even mention God in a class discussion you receive a lot of dirty looks from people. So FCS is an organization that students can join and not receive looks or be judged for wanting to talk about God.”

The main event that FCS puts on is See You At The Pole. This is an annual event where students all across the country meet for a time of prayer and worship outside their schools.

“This is an opportunity for students who may not normally gather together, to come to a central place with the same goal in mind,” Special Ed co-teacher Brandi Parrish said. “It allows for many voices to be heard and for students to link arms together in belief that God will answer their prayers. It is important because it brings unity and it reminds students that there are others who want to believe in God for big things.”

Parrish helped FCS put together See You At The Pole. However, the event was almost entirely student led. The club members put time and consideration into every detail.

“We advertised school-wide to invite as many students as possible to be a part of the planning team,” Parrish said. “We gave students a voice in deciding what they wanted the morning to look like. Students searched scripture to find verses that they wanted to share during the event and planned who would lead throughout the morning. Students also put up flyers all over campus inviting students to join us at the pole.”

At the event, the student leaders took turns reading Bible verses. Students were asked to join small groups where they prayed for the nation, the community, the school, and each other.

“I think overall See You At The Pole was very successful,” freshman Maci McNew said. “It was amazing to see so many students come together to pray for their community, school, friends and family and the country. My personal favorite moment during See You At The Pole would have to be reading aloud the verses. I just love hearing God’s word and seeing the impact it has on people.”

Many students came early and joined the small groups to pray for their community.

“I think See You At The Pole is important because prayer is very powerful, and I think that it is something that people might underestimate,” McNew said. “There is also a verse (Mathew 18: 19-20) that says ‘Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there I am among them.’ This is important because if we come together to pray for our families, and our community. God is with us and will surely answer our prayers.”

Now that See You At The Pole is over, FCS will continue to meet before school regularly for Bible studies. They have plans to expand the club this year as well.

“I would like to have as many students involved as possible,” Hopper said. “A lot of students aren’t a part of FCS because they think you have to attend a certain church or because their friends aren’t in it. I would like for FCS to host more events than just one at the beginning of the school year.”

Anyone who is interested in joining FCS can attend their meetings in Mrs. Kelley’s room every Wednesday.