84° Kilgore, TX
The Student News Site of Kilgore High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

The Mirror

November Employee of the Month

Javier Orta

The November Employee of the Month is Amy Bates. There are many things that goes into picking the Employee of the Month. The employee has to have qualities that stand out in order for them to get selected.

“I try to work as hard as everyone else does who I admire
at KHS,” Bates said. “I love what I do, and I try to remember that every day; even on the hard days. Our students deserve the best we can give them.”

It his hard to get high schoolers to realize that they only have four years and that time is not going to be there forever.

“My biggest challenge is getting students to realize how fleeting
time is,” Bates said. “We have to make every second count because time in high school FLIES, and

you only get ONE chance to do it right. Apathy and lack of concern for others bothers me most. I think we should all care about each other and make our time here as fun as it can be.”

Getting to see her students’ achievements during high school or even after high school is something that Bates enjoys. Knowing that she may have had a small impact on their lives means a lot.

“I am proud that I have helped my staffs create yearbooks and newspapers that house the history of KHS,” Bates said. “They are perfectly imperfect, and I am proud of the work that KHS students produce. My former students are who make me most proud. They are out in the world killing it, and I see that and it makes me realize I may have had a small part in who they are. It is SUCH a blessing to teach and realize you may have given that student something they can use in becoming who they are today.”

Bates hopes that her classroom is a home or a safe space to her students.

“My students impact me the most,” she said. “If you have been in my class, you are mine always. You are prayed for and loved throughout your life. If my former students needed me today, my very first students could call, and I would try and help them. The students are my life’s work. I love helping them become who they were meant to be, and I love making sure they know someone cares about them. I also try to love my students enough to hold them accountable,” Bates said.

Loving your family and friends is the most important part of life according to Bates.

“I am fortunate enough to have lots of friends that I consider ‘best.’ When you are blessed with good friends, you don’t need a lot else. Laughing together until you are crying. Hugs when you have a hard day. A text that makes you laugh. Movies and dinner dates. Birthday gatherings. THESE are the GOLD of my life. The true riches in this world are found in family and friends,” Bates said.

Bates is in her 31st year of teaching and is privileged to teach with some special former students.

“Teaching with former students is thrilling,” Bates said. “To see them find joy in helping others learn and grow means so much to me. It makes me so proud of them and gives me hope in the future.”

Bates thinks her life’s work as a teacher has been fun, but it has not all been easy. She relies on her faith to get through the difficult times.

“I put my faith in Jesus,” Bates said. “He is my strength and stay.
I have a loving church family,
and my husband and daughters
to support me. But, I truly love Philippians 4:13 which promises that ‘I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.’ God will provide. Have faith.”