December Employee of The Month

Lesly Amaro, Staff Writer

December’s Employee of the Month is Ashia Kelly. She teaches chemistry, integrated physics, and is also an assistant girls basketball coach.

Kelly attended the University of Central Florida with a Division One basketball scholarship. She majored in Health Science Pre-Clinical prior to becoming a teacher.

She grew up in Kilgore and she attended Kilgore High School. She was a four year letterman in basketball, a part of DECA, the National Honor Society, and the website manager for KHS.

Her most memorable moment of her high school experience was watching the 2004 football team win the state championship.

Her biggest challenge while juggling being a teacher as well as a coach would be learning to manage her time.

“During my first year of teaching, I really had to prioritize to keep up with lesson planning, student grades, and my coaching responsibilities,” Kelly said.

This year is Kelly’s second year teaching at KHS, and she has been most impacted by her basketball girls.

She is most proud that she is able to fulfill her purpose of inspiring young ladies to be better right in her own hometown.

“I find so much joy in how much each of them grow because it is a reflection of the time that I get to spend with them,” Kelly said.

Outside of being a teacher and being a coach to her basketball girls, she loves to read, attend church, and visit new places.

“Above all, I like to make lasting memories with the people I love,” Kelly said.

The people Kelly would consider the most influential to her are her parents.

“Mom was influential in provoking and challenging how to think for myself and, my dad gave me the passion to be an athlete and to give back all that I know to others about basketball,” Kelly said.

Within the next ten years, Kelly sees herself continuing teaching and coaching basketball.

“These avenues have afforded me unspeakable joy, an opportunity to inspire and challenge me to be better than the day before,” Kelly said.

When life gets her down, Kelly likes to soak in a hot bath.

“It is a place of relaxation, quietness, and a fresh start,” Kelly said.

The quote she lives by is “Take the next best action.”- Don Meyer.

This quote is a constant reminder to her that we are given so many opportunities in the game, or in life, even when we fault, however, it is up to us to take the next opportunity and make it a great one.

Her best friend is Alexis Hagler. She met her at a pivotal time in her life and has endured the teenage, young adult, maternity, and adult years of Kelly’s life.

“No matter how the seasons have changed with us, she continues to show faithfulness to our friendship,” Kelly said.

Some words of encouragement she would like to leave her basketball girls is “Do not dare to be anything less than fearless. You are everything you need to be; walk in it,” Kelly said.