93° Kilgore, TX
The Student News Site of Kilgore High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

The Mirror

Girls Softball

A quick and heartfelt goodbye

As the softball season ends, it’s important to reflect on all the highs and lows of the season. Although the sadness of parting ways may be hitting the players and coaches hard, they will always be able to come together and remember the thrilling victories and close defeats they had all season long.

“There are so many great moments from this season, it’s really difficult to choose one. The district game against Spring Hill was not only exciting but included a few significant firsts for the team; first district win for this group,
a first hit, first home run, and so on,” Coach Middlebrooks said. “They played for each other and never gave up. We won 15-14, and by the end of it, I think we could’ve played 2 or 3 more innings. The true excitement and determination was awesome. They loved it!”

As the team’s final moments approach, it’s bittersweet, but everyone is grateful for the memories and lessons they’ve left behind.

“I feel sort of a weight being taken off of me. It has been a hard season competitively, and I think now I’m starting to feel the pressure going away. At the same time, it’s unreal that we are approaching the end. It has been such a great season and I never want it to end,” junior Thaiona Moore said.

Seniors are having their lasts with the team and although it’s exciting to start moving on to bigger things, leaving behind your teammates who are like family is never easy.

“I’m so sad that my senior season has come to an end, but I’m so happy with all the memories that I made this season, and I’m so thankful for all the girls on the team,” senior Eva Ray said.

As one final goodbye both coaches want their teams to know how much they appreciate them and how very proud they are of every single one of them.

“I want to say Thank You to the players. Thank you for allowing us into your lives. Thank you for trusting and believing in our vision. Thank you for showing up every day and allowing us to teach and share our love for this game. Thank you for always smiling and laughing. Thank you for being coachable and eager to succeed. Thank you for working hard and making this program greater. I’m so proud of every one of the players for the progress made this year. You are capable of so many great things,” Middlebrooks said. Assistant Coach Gabby Moore agrees. “We can only go up from here. Keep grinding and moving forward and success will follow,” Moore said.