73° Kilgore, TX
The Student News Site of Kilgore High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

The Mirror

Get Cozy this Winter Season with a Letterman Jacket!

senior+Grace+Reese+with+her+PASS+patch.+
McKayla Holland
senior Grace Reese with her PASS patch.

Qualifying students who ordered a letterman jacket should be receiving theirs soon, just in time for the cold weather!

To qualify for a letterman, students must reach certain requirements, ask your coach, club sponsor, or teacher if you don’t know what those requirements are. I personally earned my letterman through UIL Academics. 

“I earned my letterman jacket by playing in the band for all four years of high school,” senior Grace Reese said. “It was a lot of hard work and dedication, but it was definitely worth it.”

Students can design their jackets, and add things like glitter letters, custom patches, and custom fonts for the back of their jacket. Bible verses, jersey numbers, clubs and organizations, or just a random patch, there’s so much to choose from!

There is a patch on my jacket that has a special meaning to me – it’s a patch I created,” Reese said. “It is a heart that says PASS in it. PASS stands for Peer Advocates for Special Needs Students. It is an organization I have been in for 3 years. That class is the highlight of my day. The patch is a reminder of all the great memories and friendships I’ve made during my time there.”

Kilgore uses Balfour for letterman jackets, as well as class rings. Balfour has a wide range of school products such as uniforms, yearbooks, caps & gowns, and photos. If you want to order extra patches throughout the year, go ahead! Balfour sells stand alone patches, you’d just have to find someone to sew it onto your jacket.

“I’ll keep the patches I have on my jacket for now, but who knows – I’ll add more in the future,” Reese said. “I will for sure add my NHS patch when I get it.”

Letterman jackets are the best way to show off yourself and show your pride for your school. I highly encourage everyone to try and earn their letterman jacket by their senior year, so that they can leave high school with a priceless- yet warm and cozy- memento of their years of high school.