73° Kilgore, TX
The Student News Site of Kilgore High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

The Mirror

Benefits of Learning Lab

For the last three years, Kilgore High School has introduced a new after-school helping program for students called Learning Lab. Learning lab is a time after school in the library from 3:40 – 4:40, for students to come in and get assistance with any work they are struggling with from different teachers around the campus.

Research has shown that children who participate in after-school programs have better grades and test scores than those who do not. After-school programs provide a safe and nurturing environment for children to learn and grow. They also give children the opportunity to socialize and make new friends. Participation in after-school programs has been shown to improve academic performance, reduce behavioral problems, and increase graduation rates.

These programs can also support social, emotional, cognitive, and academic development, reduce risky behaviors, promote physical health, and provide a safe and supportive environment for children and youth.

“Going to learning lab has helped me majorly improve my grades in class and it helped me have a better understanding of what I am learning at the moment,” said junior Jakayla Perez. Having a learning lab available to every student on campus is proving to have a very positive impact. Starting this program for the students is helping them better understand what’s going on in their classes and it’s helping them become more independent when it comes to completing their work because they can understand it now.

“Learning lab after school is great because it provides me with a quiet place where I can get all my school work done on time,” said junior Lillyan Mulanax. The learning lab isn’t just a place to get help for your work, it’s also used as a calming environment for some students. Having a quiet place to do school work is important because a classroom can often get very noisy and it can be hard to concentrate that’s the reason some students fail but going to the learning lab after school can help improve their scores a lot.

Adding a learning lab to resources for KHS students is majorly improving people’s scores and how well they understand materials in all their classes. Learning lab is a great environment for students and staff, it helps everyone to come to be a community for each other.