76° Kilgore, TX
The Student News Site of Kilgore High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

The Mirror

How to Prepare for The ACT Test

Every year around Texas, every junior starts to prep for ACT testing in December. The reason behind ACT testing is that every US college and university accepts this test and if the student gets a good score, it will look amazing on their college applications. ACT testing is also a great way to increase your chances of earning a new and/or better scholarship.
There are 7 steps you can take to better prepare yourself for the ACT.
– Understanding the testing format: Familiarize yourself with the ACT structure, including all the sections that the test itself has such as English, Math, Reading, and Science.
– Assessment: Taking practice tests can help you better identify your strengths and weaknesses.
– Create a Study Schedule: Create a realistic schedule on when you want to study for the ACT, and make sure to distribute time to study all subjects.
– Vocabulary Building: Enhancing your vocabulary for the English and Reading sections can help you better understand what you’re reading.
– Practice Regularly: Regularly completing practice tests and/or questions can help build your stamina and improve time management.
– Review Mistakes: Analyze any errors you make while studying and work on improving yourself in those areas.
– Learn Test-Taking Strategies: Understand different strategies for different question types and manage time effectively.

Q&A From Mrs.Gilgan
Q: How does taking the ACT help juniors?
A: It includes a profile and education/ career planning section to help you plan for life after High School you can see how well your interests align with your planned major.

Q: How long does the test take to complete?
A: The test itself is 3 hours long

Q: Does taking the ACT help with scholarships?
A: Yes! Colleges regularly offer scholarship opportunities to students, and not just to those with the highest scores.

Q: Why is the test only for juniors?
A: 10,11, and 12th graders can take the ACT, but for the school day testing KHS offers it to juniors only. By the second semester of your junior year, most students have a greeting understanding of the content that will be on the test. As seniors, they were given the opportunity in their junior year and we give them the SAT at school in the fall.

Following these instructions can help you better your understanding of the ACT test, and potentially better your scores. Good luck future ACT testers!