64° Kilgore, TX
The Student News Site of Kilgore High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

The Mirror

Model UN’s Preparations

Allison Shaw
The Model UN team, Carson Palmer, Andrew Wood, Julieta Gonzalez, Lizbeth Anaya, James Jarman, and Ella Kent.

Model United nations, or Model UN, is an extracurricular activity where students act as if they were delegates of the United Nations. In Model UN, students are organized into countries and from there further organized into committees. They then write a resolution that relates to their committee and country. Each student in their committee are then sent resolutions from others in their committee. With the other countries resolutions, you have to write pros and cons for them.  When the delegates arrive at the competition, and to their committee room, the delegates can then say their pros and cons for points, with each time they speak earning them points. The more points you rack up from speaking the more it puts your country towards winning best overall delegation

The Model UN team, which includes, Carson Palmer, Andrew Wood, Julieta Gonzalez, Lizbeth Anaya, James Jarman, and Ella Kent, are training to get first. Recently they even had the opportunity to participate in a leadership training on November 16 at Region 7. This training would assist and prepare them for their Model UN competition in January.

“From our training, I learned about problems in Denmark,” Sophomore Andrew Wood said. “As the training progressed, we learned what solutions needed to be dealt in Denmark.” 

The leadership training the students went to would really come in handy for preparing the students for Model UN. Leadership and speaking are major qualities to have to get points in this event. If you don’t have the bravery to speak your voice, you won’t gain points for your country. Learning how to solve problems, nation wide ones at that, would be key for preparing for the contest. Even if students already had these qualities present, honing those qualities could really assist them in their upcoming January competition.