UIL prepares for district & beyond

+UIL+students+and+teachers+wait+for+the+bus+to+arrive.

Carlos Ortiz

UIL students and teachers wait for the bus to arrive.

The University Interscholastic League (UIL) is a Texas-originated extracurricular program for schools across the state. There are events ranging from number sense and accounting to biology to spelling and journalism.

“I love taking kids to contests and seeing their success,” UIL coordinator Johna Tritt said. “I think if more students tried UIL academics they would find success! I am very proud of our UIL teams, especially last year and this year’s team. We have had to be very flexible because of COVID, and everyone has adapted really well.”

The UIL academic teams recently participated in a virtual invitational meet at Kilgore High School on March 7 as the final practice meet before district. The students who participated were in the library practicing and preparing for their events. This is a “counter” to other schools that have UIL – dedicated class periods

“I joined UIL because I love to write and wanted to see how I would compete against other writers,” freshmen Kyleigh Lewis said. “UIL gives me the opportunity to meet other students I don’t have classes with. Competition is always a good thing because it’s a big motivator to always do my best in my event and beat area schools.”

The UIL academic team’s first virtual invitational meet was also at KHS on Feb. 11. It was prepared to be a day-long practice before district.

“I joined UIL in 2020, and I wanted to join because of accounting,” senior Angelica Chavez said. “My favorite thing about UIL is accounting and leaving school to go to the event. It has taught me more stuff in the real world.”

The UIL academic teams participated at Stephen F. Austin University (SFA) in Nacogdoches on Jan. 28 for an in person practice meet. Several students and teams placed in their respective events.

“My favorite thing about UIL is the atmosphere,” freshman Kylee Hunter said. “Everyone competing is always encouraging each other. We also have fun together doing activities while waiting for our events and during lunch. I was very nervous, but I am glad that I tested well. I am incredibly thankful that Mrs. Hague asked me to be a member of the team, otherwise I would have not had this wonderful opportunity. I was not sure about it at first, but I am glad that I decided to do it in the end.”

On the athletic side of UIL, the UIL Cheer Team traveled to Ft. Worth on Jan. 14. The team placed 4th in 4A – Division 1.

“I am very proud of how well we did at the UIL State cheer competition,” cheer captain and senior Riley Thompson said. “Although our placement did not go up, our scores improved from the previous year, which is awesome! When getting into the finalist round and top 10 the competitiveness becomes very very close. Scores get to be a tenth or hundredth of a point apart. Each year we compete, our team does better and better, and I know the girls will continue to do so after I am gone. I hope they get to bring those rings home next year, or at least a medal. The best thing about being involved in cheer is the skills gained from it. You learn responsibility, leadership, trust, and good sportsmanship. Being in a leadership position such as captain has taught me not only many valuable lessons but also things about myself.”

Cheerleaders have been decided for the 2022- 2023 school year. We are very excited for next year for these young ladies.

On Wed. March 23, the UIL academic competitors will compete at District. On Saturday, April 16, the UIL students could compete at Regionals. On Friday, May 6, the best UIL students will compete at State for the final meet of the school year.

“My favorite thing is that it puts me up against other schools that I might not ever get a chance to compete against in sports,“ senior Cason Cox said. “I would recommend UIL to a friend because it gives you a great chance to learn new skills and new ideas. Since I made state, it put me up for a few different scholarships.”

Several students at KHS have placed at previous UIL events. An example is senior Madison Donovan placing 1st at district, regional, and state last year for Headline Writing. She is the current State Champion for 4A in Headline.

“I’ve learned so much, and it’s made me a better writer,” Donovan said. “It’s been such a fun experience and some of my greatest high school memories happened there. My favorite thing is the competition. I love the validation of winning after a hard fight.”