73° Kilgore, TX
The Student News Site of Kilgore High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

The Mirror

Orchestra Competes in the Solo and Ensemble Contest

Students+who+got+first+division+show+off+their+medals+
Courtesy Photos
Students who got first division show off their medals

It’s a new year for the KHS orchestra, and this year some students in the orchestra competed in a solo and ensemble contest on January 27th. They have been working hard on their solos throughout most of last year.

The following students are advancing to state:
Lizett Garcia – Violin
Kyleigh Lewis – Violin

The following students earned 1st division:
Mari Camposano – Violin
Landon Elmore – Violin
Lilah Abbott – Violin
Kylee Hunter -Viola
Emma Witt – Viola
Mariya Hopper – Viola
Abigal Abbott – Cello
Vaughn Wright – Cello
Devin Audus – Cello
Nate Perez – Cello
Sophia Simmons – Cello
Jaden Parsons – Cello
Seth Hardin – Bass
Blade Chitwood – Bass
Ella Kent – Bass

Lizett Garcia has been playing violin for 6 ½ years and this year was her last year competing in the solo and ensemble contest. She was very happy and relieved when she found out she was going to state. “In the moments leading up to the competition, I was trying very hard to think positive and ignore my nerves. Being nervous can really mess you up and ruin all those hours of practice. Luckily, I was able to overcome my nerves and put on a great performance.” she Lizett Garcia said. Lizzett said that a memory from her sophomore year keeps her motivated to keep going and playing well in these competitions. “In the days leading up to the competition, I received several negative comments from somebody and was also told that I couldn’t do it. Because of this, I dropped out of the competition. However, this memory motivated me to prove them wrong by advancing to state the following years.” Garcia said. “My favorite memory of high school actually came from last year’s Solo and Ensemble Contest. It was my first time competing and when I found out that I was going to state, I got emotional. I had always dreamed of competing at state someday, so I was really glad all that hard work paid off.”
Kyleigh Lewis has been playing violin for 6 years. She was incredibly overjoyed when she found out she was going to state. “I felt overjoyed that all of the work and time I put into it had paid off!” She says. In the moments leading up to the contest, Kyleigh worked very hard on her solo. “I Just remembered that no matter what, I would walk out of the room knowing I did my personal best, and that no matter what happened I gave it my all,” Lewis said. “I think I mainly motivated myself because of how much I wanted to make it. After not making it to state last year, I knew that I had to work ten times harder so I wouldn’t feel that same disappointment in myself.” lewis said that her freshman year is her favorite memory of solo and ensemble contests. “My freshman year was so incredible because it’s rare that a freshman makes it to state. My friends were so happy for me, and my grandparents took me out to lunch that day. I will never forget how accomplished I felt!” she says.