93° Kilgore, TX
The Student News Site of Kilgore High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

The Mirror

Tennis: Match Point

• Isaiah Welch prepares to deliver a serve

• Coach Maroney gives advice to Mari Composano and Tera Ferguson during their match

• Andrew Wood bounds across the court to the incoming ball

• Luis Herrera and J.T. Mercer congratulate each other after winning a point

It’s been over two months since the Spring Tournament season’s began for the Bulldog Tennis team. As the game draws to an end, how have we seen our players develop in both their skill and maturity since the beginning of the year?

“As always, you see different areas of growth with different kids,” Coach Jason Maroney said. “I’ve been trying to get the team to make better shot decisions, based on what is coming at them.”

Trying to make time to teach a team consisting of players ranging from first years to experienced veterans can be very taxing. And that is where Coach Caleb Canter comes in.

“It’s been great to have Coach Canter with us this year,” Maroney said. “He kind of stepped in for us mid-season in the fall and has been a big help for us during practice. He hasn’t been allowed to come to competitions, which has been tough, but he’s done a great job at practice, since he knows tennis very well and he has a big personality, which makes things more fun.”

This season has been full of many memories. Especially since this will be the seniors on the team last season of high school tennis.

“The best part of the season for me has been simply playing tennis with my friends,” senior Allison Williams. “So many wonderful memories have been made by their sides, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Sure, tennis can be played alone and with a partner, but it’s often seen as a single player sport. The thing is, though, a large part of the sport is the people you form bonds with.

“I would have to say my friend Tera Harrison has helped me,” senior Yinetsy Chavez said. “In the beginning she always made little comments like ‘oh gosh we have practice,’ truly caring about this sport and playing her hardest. This year has truly been my favorite out of the four. I loved all the trips and all the adrenaline I’d get when Daniel and I would score a point.”

As with any sport, there are so many tiny things that can have a large impact on performance. Whether that be puddles that cause a player to slip, or the glare of the Sun.

“Honestly, just do what you can,” junior Pedro Gonzales said. “Don’t put yourself down over variables you can’t control like the wind against you or the sun in your eyes. Just focus on your game and you’ll be fine, and make sure to have fun.”

By next year, the team will have lost players and gained players as the upcoming freshman come in to fill their spots.

In the words of freshman Addison Murphy, “You got this!”