74° Kilgore, TX
The Student News Site of Kilgore High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

The Mirror

The 2024 JV and Varsity Bands

The award-winning Kilgore High School band is finally in concert season! 

For those who aren’t in the band, concert season is when the band splits into two groups, JV and Varsity. During these times both bands learn different sets of music for UIL contests and for their Spring concerts. The Varsity band is conducted by John Gaertner. The musical selection for this band includes “Prestissimo March” by Karl L. King, “Fantasy on a Japanese Folk Song” by Samuel Hazo, “Melodious Thunk” by David Biedenbender, and “Choose Joy” by Randall Standridge. The music the band will be playing for the contest has not yet been chosen. The JV band is conducted by Gavin Clarke. Their musical selections include “Pinnacle of Distinction” by Larry Clark, “Zig Zag” by Sean O’Loughlin, and “Moscow, 1941” by Brian Balmages.

Gaertner and Clarke accepted the roles of becoming the new head directors of the bands last spring and have dramatically impacted the band ever since. With new players, new music, new instruments, and a new motto, the band is starting to turn around. 

To make sure the band keeps rising to the top, the directors have enforced the bands to be at the band hall, with their music and instruments ready, at 7:45 in the morning. They’ve also hired professional music teachers to help both with students individually and together as a band. Support the band for their Pre-UIL concert on March 7th, 2024, the official UIL Contest & Sight-reading Contest on March 26, 2024, at Mount Pleasant High School, and support the band at their Spring Concert on May 13, 2024.