73° Kilgore, TX
The Student News Site of Kilgore High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

The Mirror

20th Annual FFA Chili Cook-Off

The National FFA Organization is hosting their annual Chili cook-off and live auction this year at The Kilgore Ag Farm (225 Wilshire Road Kilgore, Texas) on Saturday, December 16, 2023.  The sign-up fee for student teams was $15 per team member with a maximum of four members. Adult teams were $50 a team to enter. These fees doubled after December 2, 2023, and ended on December 11, 2023. This event is hosted annually to invite the community to taste good food, gather donations, and meet new people.

The cookoff started as an event for Kilgore FFA to have a better outreach to the community.  The Cook-Off is a way to bring the community together and support the FFA Chapter at the same time. Mr.Taylor started the event when he was the Ag Teacher and it has continued to grow and be a part of what Kilgore FFA does for several years. “Teams of students have competed to have the “best” chili for some time and the reigning champions from last year’s event are anxiously awaiting this year’s event to reclaim the title,” said Monty Main. 

This year, FFA is adding the adult division to the contest to bring in more teams to cook. The FFA Advisors and the Kilgore FFA Officer Team run the event. Several donated items from local businesses will be auctioned off including gift certificates and merchandise.  In addition to these items, there will be a select group of student-built items constructed by our own students that will be up for auction. On December 16, cook teams can start the cooking at 1 p.m. At 5 p.m. the gates open for the general public to begin tasting.  At 6 p.m. the live auction and chili judging and awards begin. 

There will be prizes given for best costumes, hottest chili, and more. There are three different cook divisions to join: Mini Chili Chefs(4th-8th grade students), Student Divisions(High School Students), and the Adult Division.

Prizes, sponsors, and silent auction donations are still needed. For more information, email Charlotte Main(@[email protected]), Jacy McConathy(@[email protected]) or Monty Main (@[email protected]).

Come support your fellow students, community, and local businesses this Saturday!