73° Kilgore, TX
The Student News Site of Kilgore High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

The Mirror

Wrapping Up 2023

Leslie Smith
    The 2023 Spotify Announcement

With the 2023 year coming to a close, let’s look at how we lived, loved, and listened to music. Spotify is a music and podcast app created by, well, Spotify. At the end of the year, each and every Spotify user receives a summary based on the music they listened to and how often they listened.

“I have listened to 132,438 minutes on Spotify this year,” sophomore Symphony Forbus said. “My favorite genre is pop, and my top songs are Vampire by Olivia Rodrigo, Astronomy; People Watching; The Cut that Always Bleeds by Conan Gray, and Illicit Affairs by Taylor Swift.”

Since each summary is characteristic to the user, there’s a reason they’ve gone back to listen to each artist. Some connection they made with the lyrics of each song.

“My favorite artists are Drake, Frank Ocean, and Kanye West,” sophomore Nate Perez said. “I’ve been listening to them for about two years. They all and a distinct style, and have songs for every mood I’m feeling.”

Overall, some of the most popular artists from this year include Taylor Swift at first place with 103.3 million monthly listeners, the Weeknd at second place with 105.1 million monthly listeners, and Drake at third place 86.5 million monthly listeners.