70° Kilgore, TX
The Student News Site of Kilgore High School

The Mirror

The Mirror

The Mirror

Touch of Fame and Fashion

The KHS Style Show is here. With new talent acts, new voices, and even more STYLE. The show is on Saturday, February 24, 2024, at the Letourneau University Belcher Center. The Style Show features the KHS students and their talents like singing, dancing, and admiring the students at the high school by listing their talents, clubs they are a part of, etc. These students are selected by their peers by a ballot sent through the school’s email. The show also selects certain businesses to model their clothing and jewelry. This is the Style Show’s  25 anniversary and The KHS Beauty and Handsome presentation’s 59th anniversary. It was named A Touch of Fame & Fashion when it was created by student Lindsay Dick and her yearbook teacher Susan Reinbach. Lindsay was in an independent study class and thought this would be a great addition to the Beauty and Handsome presentation. 

The origin of the style show begins with The Reflector Yearbook Staff in 1965. Pam Mercer McWilliams was the editor of the yearbook staff. Lindsay Dick, at the time a yearbook staff member, and former yearbook adviser Susan Reinbach, began the A Touch of Fame & Fashion “Style” part of the show. “We thank these people and all those before us who created this show for the Kilgore community to honor KHS students,” said The Reflector Yearbook and The Mirror Newspaper adviser Amy Bates. “When I got to KHS in 1984 as a freshman, the show was still going strong. Everyone has always looked forward to the beautiful dresses and the talent acts as well as hearing about the future plans of elected upperclassmen. Honoring KHS students is important. It is one of many traditions at KHS that students look forward to,” said Bates.

The Style Show is sponsored by the Reflector Staff and the Anchor Club. The show has a place for kids who have talent and love to perform. We have tryouts because we can’t have the show run too long, so we have to limit the number of acts. There have been people who have sung, danced, and played musical numbers with instruments, violinists, Mimes, Jugglers, full rock bands, soloists, Gymnasts, Drumlines, and Orchestra ensembles.

Kilgore High School encourages students to get to work on their submission videos since they are due on December 15! The Belcher stage is an amazing place to stand and perform for an audience. Several talent acts have gone on to become professional artists and performers. One such act is Blues Musician Ally Venable with the Ally Venable Band. She and her band sang on the Style Show Stage in high school. We knew then that with her talent, Ally was headed for greatness! Answered above about talent submissions. Students in the beauty and handsome portion are elected by their peers and can accept or decline the nomination. Some students have declined in the past due to scheduling conflicts, but for most, it is something they want to be a part of.

Submit your talent videos by December 15, 2023, to Mrs.Bates or Mrs.Dimmitt via email.

Tickets go on sale starting January 30th,2024, and are $20.

By your tickets online at www.BelcherCenter.com