Baseball prepares for district season

Kylee Lakey

Senior Trenton Wolf warms up his throwing arm for the long game ahead.

The baseball team has just finished competing in the annual East Texas Oil Belt Tournament. They came out with a 3-1 record for the tournament. Overall, the boys have been able to hold on to a season record of 4-3. Their district games have yet to begin, but many of the boys are looking forward to the season ahead of them.

“I expect us to have a great season as long as everyone stays healthy,” senior Matthew Conner said.

The first district game will be Friday, March 18. One boy in particular says that he is trying not to think ahead, and he tries his hardest right now to win the games in front of him.

“I am expecting us to do well in district, but as of right now, I am taking it one game at a time,” senior Cason Cox said. “You can’t look too far ahead, or you will lose sight of the now and the things you have to do to prepare.”

Other boys have their sights set on state.

“I have high expectations for this season,” senior Colby Wilkerson said. “My goal is nothing short of state, and we have the guys to do it.”

All of the boys have been working together as a team and individually to grow for the season.

“We have been working really hard on fundamental skills, and even though it has rained a lot throughout our pre-season, we have still found ways to practice,” Cox said.

Other players have been working on the mental side of the game.

“I’ve been working on trying not to psych myself out,” Conner said.

Many of the players would like to thank their coach for pushing them to the next level.

“He’s challenged us to be better than the guys that came before us,” Wilkerson said. “And, we plan to do just that.”

One player in particular has a comment about their workout routines.

“He challenges me to be the best player I can be,” junior TrentLopez said. “And he makes us do so many push ups. It’s crazy.”

Along with their coach, many of the players have also been able to pick a teammate that helped them grow alongside their love for the game.

“All of my teammates are amazing and they all expect the best of me, but I would say Ryan Beddingfield has been there for me the most,” Cox said. “He has cheered me up when I am having a bad day on the field, and he just does everything possible to keep me focused on the end goal.”

Some players named multiple people that helped them grow the most.

“I couldn’t pick just one,” Wilkerson said. “Matthew Conner is my best friend, and we push each other all the time. The other would be Gage Nichols because he has worked hard to get where he is, and it drives me to work just as hard.”

One player in particular would like to thank his entire team for helping him grow.

“The whole team has helped me develop my skills,” freshman Coye Kennedy said. “We all help each other get better day by day, encouraging and pushing others to be better.”

There are many life lessons to be learned from baseball, and many of the boys have been affected by these lessons.

“I’ve learned that you’re going to fail,” Lopez said. “You always have to keep on pushing forward, no matter what struggle you’re having.”

Many of the players have been participating in baseball since they were children. This gives them a lot of memories of the sport to look back on. Wilkerson remembers these times fondly.

“My favorite memory is playing with my dad during my younger years,” Wilkerson said. “He has taught me everything I know, and playing with him was the most fun I’ve ever had while playing.”

Other players reminisce about their team.

“My favorite memory is playing with my brothers through all the heartbreak and challenges we face,” Lopez said.

It is the last year playing for many of the seniors, and they have very conflicting feelings about the end of their high school baseball career.

“I’m excited, but also a little sad,” Wilkerson said. “It’s been fun growing relationships with these guys, and I’m going to miss it.”

The players would like to leave a piece of advice for any boy hoping to play baseball in high school.

“I have a few things to say to the future of Kilgore High School baseball,” Conner said. “Stay with it. Love the game, and it will love you back. Have a strong mind, and don’t wear your feelings on your sleeve. And finally, do extra. You can always get better at something.”