Orchestra hosts Christmas concert

Feeling Festive • The KHS Chamber Camerata Orchestra performs their Christmas music. Photo by Lizett Garcia.

On Thursday, December 9th the KHS Orchestra held their “Coffee and Carols” concert. 

The concert took place in the Fellowship Hall of First Baptist Church. It was a community-wide event and everyone was allowed to attend.

“The concert brought families and friends together so it was fun,” sophomore Anahi Vazquez said.

The coffeehouse-style concert had a more relaxed atmosphere. Hot cocoa, coffee, and food was served at the concert. People and students could eat while the other classes performed. The food and drinks were provided by the KHS Orchestra students.

“My favorite part of the concert was the food,” Vazquez said.

At the concert, students played festive Christmas songs such as “We Wish You a Merry Christmas”, “Jingle Bell Rock”, “Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer”, and “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch”.

“My favorite Christmas song was ‘Deckorations’,” sophomore Mari Camposano said. “I loved playing this piece because it had so many variations in the song which made it exciting!”

Towards the end of the concert, all four orchestra classes combined to play “Carol of the Bells”. 

“My favorite part of the concert was seeing all of the Kilgore High School Orchestras play together,” Camposano said.

The Christmas concert was successful and many people from all over Kilgore came to celebrate Christmas with the KHS orchestra.

“Getting to talk and see everyone made the concert memorable because I realized that an orchestra is like a family because we all appreciate the music in our lives,” Camposano said.