December Employee of the Month – Allison Shaw

U.S. History and World History Honors teacher Allison Shaw has been awarded Employee of the Month for December 2021.

Allison Shaw showing her great whites

The December Employee of the Month is Allison Shaw. She teaches U.S. History and World History Honors.

She has been teaching for 20 years, including teaching here at KHS for two years.

“I hope my qualities I have that allowed me to be chosen were my excitement and love of teaching as well as being a team player and collaborating with my colleagues,” Shaw said. “What makes me most proud working at KHS is when students tell me how much they are learning in class.”

Shaw was born in Dover, Delaware and spent her first six years there.

Her dad, Anthony Shaw, was in the Air Force, so they had to move to Atwater in California, a small farm town, where she grew up. She attended Atwater High School, where she played volleyball, basketball, and softball and won many defensive awards.

She graduated college at California State University, Stanislaus in Turlock, California with a major in Liberal Studies and History. She then received her Bachelor of Arts and a Masters in Education.

“When I taught high school in California, my classes were a part of a community service where we received a family to help,” Shaw said. “My students really worked hard and were able to give this family food, clothes, furniture for the house and a used car.”

Shaw loves to spend her spare time in the great outdoors hiking, or relaxing at the lake or ocean. She also loves to shop with her two daughters.

Shaw’s son is in the Air Force, so they don’t see each other often, but they usually like to travel with each other.

“My biggest accompilishment has been being a mom,” Shaw said. “It is the hardest, most challenging job, but the most rewarding. I hope to see myself traveling and spending more time with my family in ten years. I would like to travel to Italy because that’s where my dad grew up.”

According to Shaw, the biggest challenge working at KHS was getting used to the size of the school, which made it difficult to get to know everyone on campus.

“My colleagues in the History Department have had the biggest impact on me,” Shaw said. “They make work fun, have a great work ethic, are always willing to help, and have made me feel a part of a team.”

Shaw’s high school economics and government teacher was the most influential teacher to her because it made learning in general fun for her. The most influential person in her entire life has been her dad.

“He immigrated to the United States from Sicily, Italy,” Shaw said. “He had to adapt to a new culture and language, which isn’t easy. He has always taught the importance of family and hard work. If I am feeling down, I call home and talk to my parents. They always have the best advice.”