FHLA helps students celebrate Hispanic culture

FHLA sponsors Veronica Cervantes and Monica Sanchez talk to students

Carlos Ortiz

The United States of America is one of the most culturally diverse countries in the world. However, non-caucasion people tend to fall behind in education and other important areas of life. That is exactly what Luis Caloca, Jose Soto and James Velasquez noticed and wanted to change that. In 1997, these people got together in the Hispanic Youth Symposium and formed FHLA (Future Hispanic Leaders of America). Their influence was so powerful that it spread from Idaho to KHS.

“We want to honor the Hispanic culture,” ESL Aide and FHLA sponsor Veronica Cervantes said. “Our main goals this year are to raise a good amount to donate to the cancer society and to get kids helping the community.”

Due to COVID last year, the club was heavily restrained of what they could do due to many students being quarantined, the school going fully remote for an entire week, and snowmageddon trapping students at home. This made doing activities related to the club much more difficult.

“We learned a lot and met many challenges because of COVID,” FHLA sponsor Connie Carrasco said. “We can only be hopeful it will not affect the club this year.”

FHLA is currently having a rebirth after COVID and some events being cancelled last year. The sponsors are very hopeful to “get the snowball rolling,” again after Mr. Brown, Mrs. Haufler, and Mrs. Buffington are no longer the main sponsors. The biggest challenge for FHLA is getting the proper support it needes.

“Getting the kids to participateis the biggest challenge due to when COVID started the kids did not get to do much,” ESL Aide and FHLA sponsor Monica Cervantes said. “As of right now we would like to appreciate each and every member that has of now participated and getting others interested in FHLA.”

Every year except for last year, the FHLA holds a carnival-like booth for all ages during the Fall Festival. The members of the club come up with ideas of what the booth does and how it operates.

“I am specifically excited about all of the fun activities we have planned,” Alejandro said “I am specifically excited about the park event,” Freshman Genises Castillo said.

During the Christmas season, FHLA holds a booth at the Lighting of the Derricks in downtown Kilgore every year. The members sell Christmas trees and all of the process goes to the American Cancer Society.

“A life lesson I learned in FHLA is how to be able to help others,” Alejandro Martinez said. ‘I want to help people,” Junior Johnathan Perez said.

One of the key aspects of FHLA is the H (Hispanic). A majority of the members consider themselves  hispanic and are proud of their heritage. Speaking of heritage, if you are reading this on the day this newspaper comes out, it is in the middle of the National Hispanic month.

“We are most excited about learning about all of the FHLA members hispanic cultures,” Monica Sanchez said.

FHLA gives students a chance to celebrate and showcase their culture with others.

“I joined FHLA because I am proud to be Mexican,” Alejandro Martinez said. “My favorite part of FHLA is being able to participate and get our culture out.”

At the end of each school year, the FHLA members who’ve participated in activities such as the Fall Festival and the community clean up can go to the end of the year trip to Six Flags.

“I am specifically excited about the trips,” Senior Nancy Cisneros said. “I’m expecting to have fun and have a good time.”