Nina Mata Day

Mrs. Mata’s former students hold a sign for her.

Nina Mata Day was a day to remember, it’s the day we took a look back at the amazing memories we all had with Mrs. Mata. She will always be remembered as the teacher that had the best school spirit, and the teacher that was always there to talk us through our problems.

School pride begins with your support of what you do, and it makes the best schools. Teachers, students, and supporters make school the best,” Mrs. Mata said.

Mrs. Mata’s former students hold a sign to honor her retirement.

I remember last year, I had Mrs. Mata for the second period. I would always look forward to coming to her class, just to see her warm smile, get my classic hug, and make her coffee. She usually had a Memi D’s cup, if not that she had her cute flowery mug. Mrs. Mata taught many different subjects, maybe not all at KISD, however she worked hard throughout the 46 years of teaching.

I began teaching out of college. I have taught at Deer Park, University of Houston, Galena Park, and KISD. I have taught English, Health, Speech, Dance and P.E,” Mrs. Mata said.

I’ve always wondered why being a teacher was such a joy to some people. Teaching is a calling, and a gift, some have a hard time, and some flourish. Mrs. Mata definitely flourished I would say. She was always that strong courageous soul that had faith everything was going to work out. 

“I think I realized from the first day I walked in class, I had found what I wanted to do all my life. The students are the best part of teaching, each one has been special in some way,” Nina Mata shared.

She always taught us well, and had the funnest projects. Mrs. Mata taught us respect, not only for other people, but for ourselves as well. There was always a lesson in everything she taught. There was never a dull moment, and there were always laughs. Mrs. Mata will not only be remembered as a teacher, but as a friend.

I would encourage you to love your school, make friends, support your school and be the best you can be,” Nina Mata encouraged her fellow bulldogs.