A swimming start

Fishing team begins season with tournament

Courtesy Photo

Sophomores Kobie Newlen and Tylar Fleming show off their catches.

While some kids just simply fish in their ponds out in their friends’ pastures, these students have taken their passion to the next level. Students 7th-12th grade have joined together under the direction of Chris Smith to form a new KHS fishing team.

On Saturday, September 26, students participated in a fishing tournament at Lake of the Pines. Not all team members participated The members of the fishing team are senior Efrain Mojica, senior Daniel Estrella, freshman Carlee Pieper, sophomore Kobie Newlen, junior Braeden Thompson, junior Kaleb Coker, junior Johnathan Rosas, and freshman Nathan Hooten.

“Fishing is something I am very passionate about,” Chris Smith said. “I wanted to show the students that there is more than just traditional sports that can earn them scholarships.”

This is the first year that the team is official. While it is not technically a sport with a ball it can be considered a strategy sport.

“It is a competitive sport that involves a ton of practice and a little knowledge of science as to time of year and fish behavior,” Smith said.

Being on the fishing team entails

riding in a boat and fishing to meet your catch requirements to beat other schools’ teams.

“Each team member fishes and ultimately is competing against each other and other schools,” Smith said. “They are fishing for the heaviest 5 fish stringer and big bass in an 8 hour day.”

Kilgore had numerous placings for their team members in this tournament and others. Kobie Newlen placed 37th, Carlee Pieper placed 49th, Daniel Estrella and Efrain Mojica placed 52nd, Braeden Thompson and Kaleb Coker placed 64th, Johnathan Rosas and Nathan Hooten placed 65th. Carlee Pieper did not attend the September 26 tournament but she has attended others and will be attending some in the future.

“I joined the fishing team because I thought it would be a good learning experience, and I love to fish,” Pieper said.

The tournaments these kids participate in happen at lakes around East Texas and the teams can compete in high school organized tournaments or open ones. They have a few lined up for the year.

“The tournaments take place on Lake Bob Sandlin, Lake Tyler, Lake O’ The Pines, Lake Palestine, Toledo Bend, Sam Rayburn, Wright Patman,”

Smith said. “We can fish some open tournaments that anyone can join.”

These tournaments serve as competition but also show students that they can contribute to a team by doing something they simply enjoy.

“The thing I like most about the tournaments is the feeling of bringing a big fish into the boat, because I know that I’m contributing to the team,” Efrain Mojica said.

Seniors Efrain Mojica and Daniel Estrella stand with their sponsor Chris Smith and his son after a long day of fishing. (Courtesy Photo)

The fishing team can serve as a fulfillment of interests.

“I joined the fishing team because I have the desire to catch big fish,” Nathan Hooten said.

If students would still like to join the fishing team, they must see Chris Smith.

“They will have to see me and get a packet to fill out and a parent signature, a check for $100, they will have to have a boat captain who is over 18,” Smith said. “Each tournament costs $40 to enter.”

This different sport has great opportunities and serves as an experience

“I decided to join the team because I have always thought it was a pretty cool sport,” Mojica said. “You should join the team because the prizes that are up for grabs are huge, and even if you don’t win, the experience of being out there is worth it.”