FCS returns with high hopes

Seniors+Rachel+Bowman%2C+Cerenity+Exline%2C+and+Jayden+Canwright+give+a+message+during+See+You+at+the+Pole.+

Summer McGee

Seniors Rachel Bowman, Cerenity Exline, and Jayden Canwright give a message during See You at the Pole.

Fellowship of Christian Students, or FCS, started back up this year. This organization is designed to equip, empower, and encourage students to make a difference for Christ.

“Clubs and organizations are there to provide a place of inclusion,” FCS sponsor Sandra Kelley said. “Fellowship is a hallmark of the Christian faith, and service is another. I hope that this group will be as much about serving the student body as it is about meeting together.”

Thought there is a sponsor, this organization is completely student led, and creates a sense of community for other Christian students on campus.

“I want students to be able to step up in boldness without fear of rejection and know that they have a group of people behind them in support and encouragement,” senior and leader of FCS Cerenity Exline said.

FCS is welcoming of all students. In fact, it is encouraged that students in different backgrounds join. This will allow for the group to reach more students.

“Even if you aren’t necessarily a religious person, I think it’d be valuable for anyone just wanting to learn more about God,” senior Rachel Bowman said.

FCS will meet every Wednesday at 7:30 a.m. in Mrs. Kelley’s and Mrs. Fouse’s room (both in the English hall), alternating each week.

“I think other people should join FCS because of the amazing people who are here to teach us, and because of the time we get to spend with God and learning about his word,” freshman Jayden Turner said.

Many of the students already involved in the organization are looking forward to what FCS is going to do for the student body.

“I can’t wait for the amazing conversations we will have,” Turner Said. “It makes me happy to know that there are other believers in this school and that they love God.”

The kick-off event for FCS was See You At The Pole (SYATP). It was held on Wednesday, September 25. This event focuses on students gathering together to pray, and the event is completely student organized and run.

“I feel like SYATP is a chance for students to show their peers that they are not afraid to be bold in their faith,” Exline said. “Even though some may know nothing about faith or God, sometimes that is where it sparks questions or ignites a fire in their heart to where they are curious about their peers’ faith.”

This year’s ceremony was organized and led by Exline. FCS hasn’t been a big organization in the last few years. However, Exline was able to find a new sponsor, and speak with Principal April Cox about holding the event.

“I have had on my heart for quite some time that I needed to step up at school in boldness and not in fear of rejection of those who may not believe or those who judge those who believe and show their faith,” Exline said.

See You at the Pole began in 1990 as a way for students to indulge in the practices of their religion together without fear of judgement. Now, 29 years later, the quiet, international movement continues with the same goal.

“I’m hoping that students take away that they’re not alone in their faith, not only in this school but across the nation,” Bowman said.

This year’s student turn-out was more than it has been in previous years, and FCS leaders are hopeful for future years. The total number of people that attended See You At The Pole is around 60.

“With everything that’s going on, from COVID regulations to the weather to just getting the word out, I feel like we had an amazing turnout,” junior Eryka Hopper said.

All of the student leaders hope that the attending students will take with them the message that they have support among the teachers and their fellow students.

“I hope that those who attended SYATP, and even those who did not, know that they are loved, they have people who care about them, and they have people praying for them daily,” Exline said. “I hope that people who do choose to step up in boldness in their faith in some way that they know they have a group of students and teachers behind them for encouragement and support.”