Teens: get some sleep

Payton Berger

Junior Carley Dollins needs to stay in her bed longer in order to be ready to face her day at school.

Teenagers are the future of our world. They’re supposed to be full of life and eager to learn, but they always seem so sleepy.

The average teenager gets around 7 hours of sleep each night. However, they need between 9 and 9 ½ hours of sleep each night to feel well-rested. There are several factors that play into teenagers receiving an inadequate amount of sleep. Some of these factors include genetics, busy schedules, and social and school obligations.

Regardless, teenagers need more sleep in order to function properly.

When an adolescent goes through puberty there’s a biological shift in their internal clock of about two hours. This means that a teenager who used to go to sleep at 9 p.m. will now not be able to fall asleep until 11 p.m. This natural shift is called “sleep phase delay.” After this, teens will have a harder time falling asleep, and their body will tell them to wake up later. However, most teens have to wake up early for school, meaning they won’t get the necessary 9 hours of sleep. This transition can be extremely hard on a teenager’s body.

At the end of the school week, teenagers assume they can use the weekend to catch up on the sleep they missed. This only throws their body clocks off even more, and it makes it harder for them to fall asleep and wake up on time when the school week starts.

Teenagers are also extremely busy with school and extracurricular activities. Most high school students are involved with activities outside of school. Extracurricular activities like sports, clubs, and UIL all take time from students. Work, church, and social obligations also take time from students. All of these activities make it hard to find time for sleep.

Sadly, sleep is seen as many teen’s last priority, but it’s extremely necessary to properly function. Teens are still growing and developing into adults. Lack of sleep can cause emotional problems and medical conditions.

While sleep may seem hard to achieve during one’s teen years, it’s possible with time management and prioritizing.

Some ways to increase the amount of sleep received include creating a relaxing home environment, creating a routine for before bed, avoiding caffeine at night, and limiting the amount of naps taken during the day.

Teens should take the time to improve their sleeping habits, for it’ll benefit them in the long run. A healthy sleep schedule improves areas in all aspects of life and in turn makes a healthier person.

Get some sleep to become the healthiest version of you.