The Mirror

Annual Style Show, Beauty & Handsome Presentation to be held Feb. 2

Back to Article
Back to Article

Juniors Leticia Vallejo and Anushka Pradhan pose for the camera at the 2018 style show. Photo by Brannon Russell.

Payton Berger, Staff Writer

A Touch of Fame and Fashion Style Show and the Beauty and Handsome Presentation will be held on Feb 2 at Dodson Auditorium at 7 PM. Tickets are 10 dollars and can be purchased in room 124. 

“It is a fundraiser to raise money for the workings of the yearbook and for Anchor Club District and International club dues to help keep the cost of participating in Anchor club as low as possible for students and for various projects,” Anchor Club sponsor Christie Carter said.

The show consists of beauty and handsome representatives voted for by their peers from each grade. Talent acts are performed in between each presentation. After the sophomores are presented the style show begins. Local businesses provide clothing for students from Anchor Club and the yearbook staff to model.

There would be no style show without the anchor club and reflector staff. The Reflector Staff started the show and then the anchor club joined them”

— Amy Bates

“There would be no style show without the anchor club and reflector staff. The Reflector Staff started the show and then the anchor club joined them. It is a fundraiser for both clubs, though with the costs of renting a venue, not much money is actually made…it is spent on the show. Truly this show is a KHS tradition,” yearbook sponsor Amy Bates said.

This year is the 20th anniversary of the style show. The beauty and handsome presentation has been going on for over 50 years now. The tradition of the style show was started by a student named Lindsay Dick. She was doing an internship at Cherry Hill Boutique in Longview and along with her teacher Susan Reinbach and Alicia Lee they began the tradition.

“Cherry Hill continued working with KHS until they became Cherry Hill Med Spa. The Beauty and Handsome Presentation was going on WELL before I was in high school 30 years ago,” Bates said.

The theme this year is Fire and Ice and was chosen by the yearbook staff. They plan on showing the hottest and coolest new trends in fashion that evening. The show is not only a fundraiser, but also a way to feature an array of students in the school.

“Anytime you allow students to be featured, I think that is a good thing. We all have different gifts. All talents should shine. Beauty, Talent, Style…they make us who we are. Without all the kids in the show, it would not be a success. It takes all types of wonderful people to make up KHS,” Bates said.

Tickets are available now in room 124. Buy a ticket to support local businesses and your classmates.

About the Writer
Payton Berger, Staff Writer

Payton is a sophomore and first year staffer. She was born in Dodge City, Kansas and moved here when she was five. She enjoys reading, listening to music,...