Classroom Innovation Necessity

Humanities+1+students+work+on+computers.+

Carlie Massey

Humanities 1 students work on computers.

Traditional classrooms no longer fulfill all needs of students. Doing constant book work, sitting in desks in a row, and raising hands to speak aren’t what students need anymore.

Students today need a classroom where they can express themselves in their work in all subjects. Schools need to offer more innovative classes that allow students the freedom to be themselves.

An innovative classroom keeps students constantly learning. In classrooms like the Humanities program, students are always learning even though they don’t take conventional tests weekly. Students seem to learn more of the meaning behind what they learn and less of the hard facts that make a traditional class what it is. In classes such as Humanities students learn to find the answer themself and not rely on the teacher or the internet for a straight up answer. Students in such classrooms gain an independence in life and education that they miss out on in a regular classroom.  “Learning is not a spectator sport…[Students] must talk about what they are learning, write about it, relate it to past experiences, apply it to their daily lives. They must make what they learn part of themselves.” — Chickering and Gamson  (https://www.hermanmiller.com/research/categories/white-papers/rethinking-the-classroom/) This quote speaks on how in order for students to truly retain information they can’t sit back and watch. Students need to be involved in  their education to gain meaning and enjoy their education. 

Learning is not a spectator sport…[Students] must talk about what they are learning, write about it, relate it to past experiences, apply it to their daily lives. They must make what they learn part of themselves.

— Chickering and Gamson

Students don’t respond to a traditional classroom. According to a study conducted by National Training Laboratories, students only retain five percent of the information they receive in a lecture. The same study showed that students retain 50 percent of the information from a discussion group and 70 percent of the information gained while doing. Teachers need to come up with new methods in their teaching to allow students to be involved. The program Engage 2 Learn makes students decide how they will conduct themselves during their project by making them

Some students do retain information better in a traditional classroom but the world is changing. Technology is becoming a necessity and the days of paper and pencil only are limited.

Classrooms need to change significantly to accommodate for the change the world is going through. Incorporating computers into classrooms and having group discussions where students can express themselves. Students would enjoy education  more if they were allowed to be involved in it and express themselves.