Lady Dogs home basketball against Marshall to be held on Nov. 6

Girls basketball team works towards success.

Carmen Vazquez

The Lady Dogs practice for the new season.

The tryouts for the girls basketball team took place on Wednesday, Oct. 17 and Thursday, Oct. 18.

“This season the goal is for every girl to play their role so they can become a successful team,” head basketball coach Trushundra McGill said.

Most of the girls enjoy the game of basketball and have played since their Freshman year.

“I have really enjoyed my years of playing basketball,” senior and basketball captain Shelby Thompson said. “I’m really sad because I know I won’t ever get the chance to play on a real team again. I’m going to miss the traveling to far away tournaments and bonding with my team, but mostly I’m going to miss being a part of something bigger than myself.” 

Some girls have had a passion for the game which makes them love playing for the school.

“I have been playing basketball since I was four years old,” sophomore Clemaira Norris said. “I have a passion for the game, because I could play it all day everyday.” 

The game of basketball can be aggressive at times, but it fun for others. Basketball is also seen as a way to learn life lessons. 

“Basketball helps me learn how to work as a team,” Sophomore Jaylynn Smith said.

While the team is serious on the court, memories can also be made through it.

“My favorite memory was when we had too many turnovers and Coach Coleman lined us up on the baseline and had us throw all the balls at him one at the time,” Shelby said. “He hit them away with his arms and they went all over the gym. At the time, I was terrified because he was yelling and throwing the balls around, but looking back now that was my most memorable practice and to this day we all still laugh about it.”

Every basketball season differs from the one before, with new people, new challenges, and new accomplishments.

“I’ve been practicing over the summer and I know I have what it takes, I just have to put it all together and make it work,” Freshman Skye Cotton said. “I am very excited, and I can’t wait to see what the season holds for me. New coaches, new teammates, fresh start.” 

Make sure to come out and support the Lady Dogs at their first home on Nov. 6 against Marshall.