Anchor Club to Work SAFFE Day

Anchor+Club+president+and+senior+Saidie+Hamblen+leads+Anchor+Club+meeting.+

Olivia Arp

Anchor Club president and senior Saidie Hamblen leads Anchor Club meeting.

Anchor Club met on Wednesday to discuss SAFFE Day and future events for the club. The club plans to work a booth at SAFFE Day on Sept 15. SAFFE Day is a family event for families with special needs family members.

“SAFFE Day for the students is something different, something new,” anchor club sponsor Christie Carter said.

Anchor Club has worked SAFFE Day since it began and in the last three years have run a booth. At their booth, the club members make and give away friendship bracelets.

“I think my favorite part is seeing their faces light up when they see something as simple as a bracelet,” anchor club president and senior Saidie Hamblen said.

Working SAFFE Day gives club members community service hours but members say it’s worth so much more.

“I like seeing the participants and their families enjoying themselves and not worrying about the looks they usually get,” anchor club member and sophomore Courtlyn Brown said.

I like seeing the participants and their families enjoying themselves and not worrying about the looks they usually get.

— Courtlyn Brown

The SAFFE Day event shows the special needs community that people care about and support them.

“This event lets them feel like they have other people that know what they’re thinking and feeling,” Courtlyn said.

Students work this event to serve the community and show initiative in their work.

“Our kids working this event lets the community see that we have good kids,” Carter said.

If students wish to join Anchor club, see Mrs. Carter in room 204. Anyone can join at any time throughout the year.