The Mirror

OPINION: Does Youtuber Logan Paul deserve a second chance?

Dayana Sanchez, Design Editor

After uploading a rather disturbing video containing footage of a deceased body to his Youtube channel on December 31st, social media star Logan Paul has received endless backlash from celebrities and internet users alike. Since the incident, Paul has taken down the video from his channel and took a three week hiatus from his daily vlogging channel to “reflect”.

Weeks later, TMZ uploaded a video asking Logan Paul if he deserved a second chance. His answer: “Everybody deserves second chances bro.” This got me thinking: does Logan Paul really deserve a second chance? Based on his actions, if the decision were up to me: Logan Paul does not deserve a second chance–not right away that is.

If Logan Paul truly wants people to take him seriously again (but then again when has anyone taken him seriously?) he will have to work for it.

It seems that Logan Paul himself read my thoughts because on January 24th, Paul uploaded a suicide prevention video titled “SUICIDE: Be Here Tomorrow.” In the seven minute video, Logan Paul admits to his mistakes and meets with a suicide survivor. The video also contains statistics about suicide, raises awareness on the issue, and pledges to donate $1 million dollars to suicide prevention organizations.

Based on the video, it looks like Paul is trying to take steps into the right direction…or is he just doing it to miraculously save his reputation? As I mentioned earlier, if Logan Paul wants a second chance he will have to earn it. He hurt a lot of people after he ignorantly uploaded the video last year, and one video about suicide prevention isn’t going to fix it. It is like putting a bandaid on a broken bone.

If you or someone you know is contemplating suicide, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

About the Writer
Dayana Sanchez, Design Editor

Dayana is a third year senior staffer and Vice President of The Mirror. She is involved in the band, science club, art club, FHLA, Model UN, and National...