One Act auditions coming up

Carly Mauldin

More stories from Carly Mauldin

Senior+Madison+Donovan+reads+a+monologue.+

Senior Madison Donovan reads a monologue.

As the winter play comes to a close, the theater department begins to prepare for One Act Play in March. Auditions will be on December 15, at 3:30 p.m. in the auditorium.

“I want to audition for One Act because I’ve wanted to be in a performance like that since freshman year,” senior Chey Tubb said. “COVID really ruined my chances of that, so I’m hoping maybe I’ll get a good role and get to do what I want.”

Theater teacher Amy Clemens chose the play These Shining Lives for their performance. The play is about the use of radium in 1920s factories, and the women that fought for employee safety laws. 

“Really it’s a play about mistreating the people who work for you as corporate conglomerates,” sophomore Malachi Strachan said. “It’s about mistreating people, specifically women, and a group of brave women who spend the last years of their lives doing something that they didn’t want to but needed to do to make the lives of the people after them better.” 

The auditions will be open to all students. Students in theater classes will have the opportunity to audition during their theater exam period, and other students may audition after school. 

“I’m excited for new people to join in and get to experience the fun that we’ve had at One Act,” senior Kara Malick said. “It’s going to be fun to get to help and mentor the younger students who get to take my place next year.”

Students will be expected to do cold reads from the script, so they do not have to prepare a monologue. The cast list is expected to be out the day after, on December 16. 

“Not only is this a chance to be a part of a UIL thing, which already looks really good, but it’s also going to be really fun,” senior Connor Calloway said. “We’re going to put a lot of effort into this and a lot of work. Just like everything in school, there’s a lot of work but also a lot of play.”