Students work on NHS applications

Carly Mauldin

More stories from Carly Mauldin

Junior Carlos Ortiz completes his NHS application.

National Honor Society applications are due on Tuesday, Oct 26. NHS is a organization a part of schools all across the country and encourages values such as scholarship, service, leadership, character, and citizenship. Students must showcase their extracurriculars, community service hours, and their character.

“Initially to be invited to apply you have to have a ninety or above GPA, and you have to have a clear discipline record,” NHS sponsor Johna Tritt said. “We send the application to students who qualify in those two areas. After they turn the application back into us, we check their attendance, we get teacher recommendations, and we calculate the information that they give us in their application. Their extracurriculars are each worth so much and community service is each worth so much. We calculate all that, and Mrs. Baker and I will take that information to the faculty council which is anonymous. It’s five to six faculty members that meet together and decide who’s going to be inducted into the national honors society.”

Many students see the NHS as a way to substantiate their accomplishments, as well as push them to improve. 

“I think being a part of the NHS is a way of showing all my past accomplishments in high school, and it will look really good on my resume,” junior Carlos Ortiz said. “I think joining would help me improve as a person because I would have to do a lot more community service. I’m going to try to start doing more community service, so I can look good and represent the National Honor Society.”

Tritt believes that NHS candidates should stand out and be leaders in the community. 

“NHS is a prestigious high school organization. It means that you have the character, the service and leadership, and the grades that set you apart from other students,” Tritt said. “Fill out the application completely. Make sure you turn it in on time. It’s not accepted late. Make sure that once you’ve turned your application in, from that point forward you are a good student and a good steward of the NHS. You’re checking your emails, keeping up with due dates, and you’re looking for ways you can help others.”

Any juniors and seniors interested in joining can turn their applications in to Mrs. Tritt by 3:35 on deadline day.