Class rankings up to date

Sophomores take a look at their ranks and GPA.

This week the outside windows of the counselors office are filled with students trying to find out their new rankings.

“I love to see the students’ reactions when they find out their GPA and rankings,” Counselors Registrar, Patty Gutierrez, said. “Some of them get more motivated to work harder, and I’ve seen it through the years.”

Some students were very excited to see their new ranking and GPA, some even took quite a surprise.

“It felt surreal,” sophomore valedictorian, Fabiola Vanegas said. “It was something that I never thought would be possible, especially because this year has been a  difficult year for me considering that there is a pandemic and all of my teachers have had to wear a mask which highly affected my ability to learn since I wear hearing aids.”

Students work hard every school day and maintain good grades to  get to where they want to be.

“I was dumbfounded when I found out my class ranking this year; senioritis got to me at the beginning of the year and I lost lots of motivation and commitment; seeing where I am amongst the seniors truly amazed me,” senior Ruben Estrella said.

New rankings coming out are very important to students on campus.

“I believe that seeing where we are ranked within our class encourages us to do better;” junior Alejandra Leon said.

Seniors know how hard it is keeping up with school work, outside work, and personal stuff all at once, however; all hard work pays off.

“One advice I would give the underclassmen regarding rankings is not to dwell on your spot,” Ruben said. “Revolving around a number is not mentally healthy and in the end, it is not the only contributing factor for college admission.

If you haven’t yet seen your new GPA or ranking run by the counselors office and take a look, you might take a surprise.