Pumpkin spice, Peppermint, and everything nice

Holiday themed treats to try

Kayla Ridge, Staff Writer

After witnessing the changes this fall to schools and communities, we have no way to know what may happen next. This year has been the craziest by far.

Families get ready for Christmas the safest way they can, students find ways to stay safe and healthy in school, and people work hard during this time to pay bills and feed kids. The year has taken a toll on everyone.

What people need is to relax, sit by a warm fire, and drink some pumpkin spice hot cocoa and smell the fresh scent of peppermint.

Original hot chocolate has been ingrained in our brains since childhood. The warm brewed beverage reminds us of chilled and quiet days inside our homes. Many memories have been made due to this fantastic drink. Why not spice it up with a little festive spice this year?

Pumpkin Spice anything is the best part of fall.

The moment when you are sitting around the dinner table and you reach over that Cherry Crumb cake just to get a bite of the perfect pumpkin dessert that you have been craving all year. However, pumpkin spice has not been around forever.

Pumpkin spice flavoring has been around since 1936. This ‘invention’ was and is still used to this day to make baking a tasty treat easy. Therefore, bakers could bake a mean pumpkin spice dessert without having to deal with the mess a pumpkin can bring.

Desserts that have this festive spice baked into them include: Muffins, Donuts, Fudge, Cheesecake, pie, cake and so much more.

Now, do not think that pumpkin spice is the only flavor for this fantastic time of year. Peppermint is at the top of the list with pumpkin spice. (Just ask Starbucks.) The iconic peppermint flavoring is well- known.

The original peppermint was first thought of as a remedy for colds, but now it has come a long way. From medication to baking, peppermint has been a significant part of our history. There are peppermint fans everywhere. There are many desserts that have peppermint baked into the warm tasty treats. These include: dream desserts, chocolate bars, pies, and even cakes.

With these amazing dessert flavors there seems like nothing can go wrong.

Coffee shops have put pumpkin spice lattes and peppermint mocha on their menus to brighten up the holiday spirit for many different people. Pumpkin spice is in the top three best selling drinks at Starbucks.

The two perfect flavors are great separate, but when combined together the flavors spark something in your brain similar to one of the scenes in the movie Ratatouille. Sipping the hot brewed drink makes wonders and enlightens the world around us.

A pumpkin spice peppermint hot chocolate just before a big day at school or even at work can make our day go by fast and easy. When drinking this drink our body decides to calm down and relax.

So whenever you want to finish a project that you may or may not have decided to procrastinate on, drink a warm cup of hot chocolate. This will get you through the project with ease.

Even though original hot chocolate is delicious, spice it up by adding peppermints. Don’t stop there. Add some whipped topping and a sprinkle of pumpkin spice.

Now you have a festive cup of hot chocolate that can get you through this unusual time in our world. We have all earned a treat in 2020.