The impact of Red Ribbon Week

Behind the scenes of the dress-up days

Kylee Lakey

Humanities teachers Carl Mohn and Johna Tritt pose with their 3rd period students. Photo by Kylee Lakey.

Red Ribbon Week is dedicated towards promoting students to be drug free, and this is done through dress-up days. This year the high school’s dress-up days included: Monochrome vs. Color; College vs. Pro; Mustache vs. Beard; Checkered vs. Plaid; and Red and White Spirit Overalls. 

“We created ideas that everyone could participate in because we didn’t want anyone to feel left out,” Student Council sponsor and humanities teacher Carl Mohn said. “That’s what we tried to do with all of the dress-up days throughout the year.”

Throughout the week, many students and teachers have chosen their favorite day that they have dressed up for. 

“College vs. Pro was my favorite because I wore my favorite Mexican team’s soccer jersey,” Sophomore Danna Requena said. “That team really inspires me, and it makes me want to make my family proud.” 

Although the intention for the days were to be easy, there was one day that students had the most trouble with. This day was Mustache vs. Beard. 

“I didn’t know how to incorporate a mustache into my outfits,” Senior Jaiden Thompson said. 

Despite this, some people really enjoyed that day as well. 

“Mustache Day was definitely my favorite because I really liked to wear the mustache,” humanities teacher Johna Tritt said. 

Tritt always makes a point to participate in Red Ribbon Week and other dress-up days. 

“I always try to participate to make the school day fun for the students,” Tritt said. “It shows that I’m an active member of the faculty, and I think that students look forward to their teachers dressing up.” 

Red Ribbon Week has a great impact on students. The emphasis on being drug free is really seen throughout this week as students dress-up and create a sense of unity in the fight against drugs. 

“It feels like a personal reward to dress-up,” Requena said. “I’m showing the world that I’m protecting myself from drugs.”