Preventing seasonal allergies

Yesenia Ramirez, Staff Writer

As teachers get Germ-x and tissues out of the cabinet, students know what season is coming: allergy season.

The main cause of seasonal allergies are weather conditions, mold spores and pollen, and during fall is when the highest pollination takes place.

Allergies occur at any season of the year or windy seasons when the branches of the trees are moving and pollen grains appear like smoke in the air, but especially autumn. It is the season when people get prepared and take precautions to not get sick or contagious.

During school, students are often exposed to these allergies by simply not washing or disinfecting their hands after blowing their nose, sharing the same cups, classroom pets or even chalk dust during class. This can be prevented by making simple changes.

Washing your hands, covering your mouth when sneezing, not sharing drinks with others, and making sure everything you’re touching is clean can help you and the ones around you be more unlikely to get sick.

Sometimes having allergies is hard to avoid, as students are surrounded by many infected things that can be contagious. However, knowing the signs of infection and taking medication as soon as possible can ease the symptoms.

The most common signs of these seasonal allergies are runny nose, congestion, sneezing, watery eyes, sore throat and itchiness.

During the seasonal changes, pollen grain and mold spores are very high and they stick on hair, clothing, skin and pets, which can be a reason for these symptoms to appear.

Avoiding pollen is a way to prevent these allergies and people can do it by keeping windows closed at all times, both at home and car. Remember that pollen can get into your home via your clothes, hair or pets, so changing your clothes after being outside for long periods of time and not hanging laundry outside is suggested. Shower before going to bed and wash your hands after petting an animal that has been outside.

Another way to prevent it can be, vacuuming and cleaning the house often to keep dust mites, pet hair and other indoor allergy triggers under control may help to be less uncomfortable.

Changing vent filters, using air conditioning in house, and servicing heating systems can also ease symptoms.

Students’ health should be a priority and making sure precautions are taken to prevent any inconvenience. Remember this season by having lots of memories not allergies, take precautions.