AASA begins year with fundraiser

A'Niya Williams, Staff Writer

The African American Student Alliance (AASA) is starting a Pop/ H2O Fundraiser which will continue throughout the rest of the semester. The Pop/H2O Fundraiser is for flavored popcorn and water.

“Fundraisers help to keep the costs down for our trips to colleges, museums, etc,” AASA sponsor Lovetta Williams said. “They are a great way to connect with others in our community.”

AASA is currently deciding on an HBCU, Historic Black College/ University, to visit. As of now, there are nine HBCU’s including Huston-Tillotson University, Paul Quinn College, Prairie View A&M University, Southwestern Christian College, St Philip’s College, Texas College, Texas Southern University, Jarvis Christian College,and Wiley College.

“SFA’s annual Greek Step Show is in November,” Williams said. “We’d like to plan for that as well. Some students aren’t familiar with the
Nat’l Pan-Hellenic Council, NPHC, composed of nine international Greek letter sororities and fraternities.”

These include Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. and

Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
“This may be a first look for some

and an enjoyable display of frat/soro pride and talent for others,” Williams

said
The East Texas college fair

in November is another item on AASA’s agenda. It is an opportunity for high school students and their parents to visit with representatives from colleges, universities, technical/ vocational schools, and military personnel. Financial aid and scholarship information will also be available.