Marching band prepares for upcoming season

Courtesy Photo

The band holds attention to practice like they will perform.

Beginning July 22, the band started training camp for new and returning members to prepare for the upcoming marching season.

“I am pumped about the first weeks of camp,” head band director Cliffton Walker said. “The quality of sounds are more than I could ask for at this point.”

On the first day the section leaders worked solely with the freshmen on basic fundamentals. The days following have consisted of continuous review and teaching. This year there are a total of 16 section leaders and these distinguished members are in charge of teaching and leading their sections.

“Leading my tuba section makes me feel more passionate about band,” senior tuba section leader Ernesto Sanchez said. “I get to lead musicians with just as much passion as me. Teaching band fundamentals are fun because I get to interact with my friends while I teach them.”

There are a total of 180 students enrolled currently for the organization.  With an average total of 120 student per day that have shown up so far to camp the band directors believe that there will be a total of 170 enrolled by the first day of school with a drill of 145 students marching. This is one of the largest bands Kilgore has had in it’s long history of military bands.

• Seniors Alex Czarniecki, Spencer Thompson, Carl White, and Brayden Johnson

• Members listen to band director Mr. Walker while in parade rest.

“It can feel intimidating to know that this is one of the largest bands KHS has had,” senior and drum major Jimena Pina said. “However, that makes me feel even more proud to assist in leading it. It humbles me to know that the potential and energy in this years band is bigger than me, I’m simply proud to be a part of it.”

This years band has so far proved to be different that previous bands. Besides the size difference, there seems to be a different energy from the members

“Each year brings new and exciting changes,” Walker said. “This group definitely has a fire for playing with style!”