The Mirror

Wind Ensemble Band UIL

Faith Jones, Staff Writer

Photo by Don Gamble
The Wind Ensemble Band gathers for a picture after completing their spring UIL contest.

The wind ensemble band went to Mount Pleasant High School for UIL on Wednesday, April 3. The band began preparing for the contest in January.

Each day in class they practiced their three tunes – The Gladiator March by Sousa, In The Shining Of The Stars by Sheldon and Imaginarium by Standridge. Every once in a while, the band practiced for the sight reading portion of the contest.  

“Personally, as a director, I study the scores of the selections to determine any pitfalls and possible difficult sections. I try to mentally set myself into the “zone” of the music that we are preparing,” wind ensemble band director Clifton Walker said.

Both Walker and the band worked extremely hard both in and out of class. Many students took their horns home to practice individually, and the entire band attended one evening rehearsal, and Walker spent much of his time directing the band and helping them turn the music into a story.

“I feel that we had a strong performance and I am proud of that. I believe that with the concert being earlier than usual we didn’t have the rehearsal time necessary to accomplish our goal of receiving ones,¨ senior drum major and clarinet player Mackenzie Cavanaugh said.

In the first section of the contest the band was scored by three judges from the East Texas area. They played their three tunes on a stage by the direction of Walker. Out of a five, a one being the best score, they received two twos and a one for an overall score of a two.

“The sight reading piece wasn’t the best thing to read, but I know we did the best we could. And our scores, we did better than getting a two, but either way I am proud of our performance,” junior flute player Kayla Butler said.

Next, the band took part in the sight reading section, where they were given a piece of music which neither the band, nor the director have seen or practiced. The director had an allotted amount of time to briefly discuss the piece and guide the band to become familiar with it. The band then played the new piece for a new set of judges and were given scores of two twos, and a one for an average score of two.

“I am sad that we didn’t get a one again but I know that we worked hard and I am proud of that,” sophomore trumpet player Juan Vega said.

Overall, the band felt mixed emotions about the performance and their outcome,  but are proud of the hard work the group put in.

I am always proud of our bands here at Kilgore. We battle many obstacles both within the ensembles and outside of school. For the students to come together and create this level of music is a fantastic accomplishment,” Walker said.

About the Writer
Faith Jones, Staff writer

Faith Jones is a sophomore and a first year staff writer. She is also a member of the band where she plays flute and has earned a first division at solo...