The Mirror

Portraits of Spanish 2

Junior+Teresa+Medina+helps+to+tape+the+Spanish+2+portraits.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Portraits of Spanish 2

Junior Teresa Medina helps to tape the Spanish 2 portraits.

Teresa Medina, Staff Writer

In Spanish 2, Spanish teacher Diana Neal’s class has been doing portraits to reflect on the hispanic artist she let her students choose from.

For the past couple weeks in Spanish 2, we have been studying various Spanish and Latin American artists, who they were, and the impact they had on their world and today’s culture both in their countries and also in the United States,” Neal said. “Throughout our study, we also discussed what is art and some of the different styles created by these artists. One of the artists we studied that made a big impact was 20th century Mexican artist Frida Kahlo. Like Frida, I wanted my students to have an opportunity to put what they learned to practice, that art is an opportunity to tell a story and generate emotion.”  

Art comes in different ways and she wanted to see her students views on it, so she assigned this project.

“I gave my students freedom to use different types of media for their self portraits,” Neal said. “Some of the standard materials we had included card stock, construction paper, paint, watercolors, crayons (inspired by Jean-Michel Basquiat), markers, glitter, and colored pencils.” 

Neal will be placing the portraits outside of her  classroom for all students to enjoy.

About the Writer
Teresa Medina, Staff Writer

Teresa Medina is a junior and a second year staffer. She likes binge watching on Netflix while eating spicy chips. Her favorite youtuber is David Dobrik,...