The Mirror

UIL academic team competes, places in practice meet competitions

Back to Article
Back to Article

Success • Sophomore Estrella Martinez, Junior Leticia Vallejo, Junior Daisy Salazar finish competing and show off their medals.

Teresa Medina, Staff Writer

The UIL teams began preparing for their season in January by heading to an academic practice meet in Lindale.

Sophomore Mackenna Watkins placed second for ready writing, Brooklyn Hall and Rachel Bowman advanced for Poetry/prose, Junior Leticia Vallejo placed third, Daisy Salazar placed fourth and sophomore Estrella Martinez placed fifth for computer application, sophomore Olivia Arp placed fifth with Lauren Bryant coming seventh in copy editing. Junior Valentina Stojanovic placed fifth with freshman Madison Donovan in sixth in headline writing.

“By far, computer applications is tough,” Leticia said. “The adrenaline rush feels as everyone begins typing at 70 wpm and pushes you to do even better than the person beside you.”

The UIL campus coordinator is Johna Tritt.

“UIL is wonderful experience for students to participate in,” Tritt said. “It takes life lessons, useful skills for future, and it is a way for the students to make memories with their friends.”

Those who placed were surprised and content with the results.

“I am involved in journalism UIL, because I like to challenge myself in new subjects that I take,” Stojanovic said.

Practice meets are more lenient than a real UIL meet due to how students are able to cross enter which events they are competing in.

“I was super nervous,” Salazar said. “But, I think that I did well for the competition.”

By the middle of competition season, the UIL team has grown to support and love one another, by becoming a family away from home.

“My favorite activity of UIL is meeting new people,” Stojanovic said.

UIL meets are meant to make students use their brains, and find different perspectives from it. Also, it helps a student learn new activities that they might be interested in.

“Mrs.Lockman mentioned at the beginning of the year she was the coach for computer applications,” Vallejo said. “At first I was skeptical of joining a UIL event in which I knew very little knowledge of the software used. Eventually, I gave it a shot and realized most of the test were straightforward.”

These practice meets prepare the students for distract on March 25.

“UIL teaches students responsibility and integrity,” Tritt said. “And what it means to be part of a team. These skill are vital to the success of the student’s future.”

The school started a prose and poetry new since last year.

“I plan on doing this in the future because I enjoy it,” Stojanovic said.

The students who participate in this event are given the chance to grow and learn more through critiques and friendships.

All the students are able to practice before the event in order to get the feels of it and how judges would judge them.

“Before actual tests, I like to relieve stress by playing chess with my team. It mentally calms us and squeezes in a few laughs before being silent for 45 minutes,” Vallejo said. “Every Thursday after school I take practice tests and then review what I got wrong to improve on my next try.”

Many students competed in Hallsville Feb. 16. Junior Carlie Massey placed 2nd in both news and feature writing. Junior Dayton Massey placed 1st in editorial writing. Madison Donovan placed 2nd in science.

“I work over headline writing in Mrs. Bates class,” Stojanovic said “It helped me a lot to prepare myself for the UIL meet.”

When students go to UIL they give it their all with pride. And, even if they come out not placing they know they have done something lots of students never try to do. And that is represent Kilgore in competition using their academic skills. The best of the best students from every school meet to compete in UIL Academics. Future leaders of the country are meeting to practice their skills and represent their schools.

“At our meet in Lindale, I believe our team did fairly well,” Vallejo said. “Despite newcomers not knowing what to expect, I think we did a great job.”

The UIL coaches are selecting their district teams now.

About the Writer
Teresa Medina, Staff Writer

Teresa Medina is a junior and a second year staffer. She likes binge watching on Netflix while eating spicy chips. Her favorite youtuber is David Dobrik,...