Kilgore ISD continues to improve security procedures at KHS

A+fortified+stronghold+%E2%80%A2+KISD+Superintendent+and+board+will+replace+the+entry+and+exits+with+new+doors+creating+a+new+technique+to+keep+intruders+out+and+provide+a+better+security+system+to+keep+all+students+and+staff+safe.+

Photo by Jasiaha Boaz.

A fortified stronghold • KISD Superintendent and board will replace the entry and exits with new doors creating a new technique to keep intruders out and provide a better security system to keep all students and staff safe.

This fall, the safety of KHS was threatened by an outside force endangering not just the students but all the faculty and staff inside the school. The student body and city came together and helped the police force and administration put a stop to the threats by finding the person responsible.

KISD Administration has held board meetings, safety meetings, conducted interviews and have discussed what’s next for Kilgore High, and have come to an agreement that new and improved doors, ID card readers, and an electronic control system will best protect the school.

“The safety and security of our students and staff is absolutely critical,” Assistant Superintendent Richard Nash said. “It is unfortunate that we have to worry about such things, but it is simply a reality in today’s world and we take it very, very seriously. We are taking efforts to upgrade our doors and physical security, because they are very much needed.”

Over the next few months new doors and equipment will be installed at the school, along with an electric control security system regulating who enters and exits.

KISD and KHS are reviewing methods that can help improve the overall security that would include the faculty and staff being able to manage who enters the building.

“I like the idea of an improved security. I’ve seen it at other schools, and it’s a good way to keep the people safe,” junior Ivan Castillo said.

Concerning safety, this time is
a chance for the school to grow stronger. We can build relationships with each other to ensure that

everybody is safe and recognized. We can be there for each other and get to know one another so no one feels alone here. With over 1,000 students, knowing everyone is a challenge, but teachers and staff work hard to make connections through their classes and also through house meetings. The faculty and staff are here to not only teach but most want to protect their students as well.

“Our campus administrators

are always working hard to make those transition times as efficient and safe as possible. I hope the biggest impact will be that students feel a bit safer. Knowing that KHS and the KISD Board of Trustees take safety very seriously should be a good step. I hope students continue to speak up when they see actions, social media posts or other issues that threaten students or our school,” Nash said.

There is no way to fully prepare

for the situation that Kilgore was plunged into.

The tips that students put in to the police helped tremendously to find the “digital footprints” the perpetrator left behind and from there it was only a waiting game.

The lesson learned is that the school needs to continue to bond with police officers, faculty, and staff to ensure that everybody is safe and everything is taken care of properly.

“Everything you do on a device has a digital footprint and it only takes time to find the person who left them,” Sergeant Richard Stanley said.

Creating a bond with the School Resource Officers will help eliminate problems or threats, because they are the officers who students feel they can go up to and tell about anything threatening that could possibly result in a greater catastrophe.

“We need everyone to realize
that our schools belong to us:
the community. We are all in this together to keep our schools as safe places where students learn and grow. As a community and society, we cannot allow these threats to ruin our schools,” Nash said.

School is the safest place most students can be, with all the security a school has and the officers that patrol the campus.

Workforce criminal incidents happen more often than school incidents. Even after the school threat, Kilgore continues to maintain and even increase their security so that the students, faculty, and staff are safe.

“Our best action is to work with our students, staff, and community to inform everyone of what we can all do to help prevent such incidents and how to respond if incidents arise,” Nash said.