Pennies go a long way

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pennies go a long way

Seniors Hunter Bonnette, Elijah Williams, and Harlee Biggs collect donations during lunch.

Fatima Amaro

Fatima Amaro

Fatima Amaro

NHS hosted the annual Penny Wars competition in the week of Jan. 8-12 . Contributions collected from Penny Wars will be donated directly to the Heart’s Anonymous. It is a class competition, including Staff, where pennies and count toward points.  Silver change (dimes, nickels, and quarters) reduces the number of points from that container by the amount of the coin. Dollar bills and other bills count toward the count.

“I think Penny Wars are important because it gives the student body and staff a chance to give back to Hearts Anonymous. This organization does so much for students in our district from providing school supplies and school clothes to coats and gloves for students who need cold weather gear,” NHS sponsor Johna Tritt said. “I am proud that NHS and KHS gives back even if it is just a small amount.”

It is a class competition, including Staff, where pennies and count toward points.  Silver change (dimes, nickels, and quarters) reduces the number of points from that container by the amount of the coin. Dollar bills and other bills count toward the count.

“Penny Wars is more than just about the money, it about the big cause of helping people,” senior Kyle Kaczmarek.

The money was counted each day and an announcement was made daily to announce the positions. In the end, seniors got 1st place with a collection of $78.33; juniors got 2nd garnering $42.39; sophomores came in 3rd with $34.16; freshman were 4th collecting $33.43; and Staff came last with a donation of $29.65. The grand total that will donated to Hearts Anonymous will $218.22.

“I don’t think it matters who won at the end, even if it was us seniors, it matters that we contributed towards a good cause,” senior Josh Fletcher said.